1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED license plate LAMP

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by itommytang, Mar 21, 2014.

1. itommytang

itommytang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased this LED license plate lamp after installing a wedge type LED bulb because it just wasn't bright enough for my liking. I've used this type of LED lamps before and they are really bright and look great at night. I went to install the new lamp tonight and noticed the only way to install them would be to remove the exterior trim above the license plate. I know that the trim is held on by some kind of bolt that I should be able to access from inside the trunk. The problem I'm having is how the heck do you pull the plastic trim inside off? I noticed that there was a "slot" on the side near the window which you could pry the plastic off, but when I tried to it wouldn't budge. Is there a tutorial on PC? Heres a link to the lamp

2. Faine

Faine New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Open your hatch, looking up from under the open hatch at the plastic panel you should see two roughly 4" x 4" panels with a notch for prying open. Pry them open, easy access put back when done.

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    those access panels in the rear hatch will get you access to replace the licenses plate bulbs. You will need to remove the entire plastic panel on the hatch.

To remove the entire plastic interior trim panel, you should use a interior trim pry tool. The plastic panel is simply secured to the hatch gate by plastic trim fasteners or rivets (whichever you call them). Insert the pry tool between the plastic and the metal gate and work your way around as you pop the fasteners off one by one. It might be easier to start at the very top of the glass and work your way down around the trim. If you don't have a pry tool, you could just use your hand and force. they are just push in fasteners/rivets.

Once you get the plastic interior trim panel off, the rear plastic exterior trim is held on by 10mm nuts and plastic push in fasteners. Unbolt the four 10mm nuts (if i remember correctly) and you'll be able to pry away the exterior plastic trim.

When you install the exterior trim panel, you should make sure you install the top edge UNDER the flexible rubber trim. It's pretty difficult to just use your hand or a trim tool to accomplish that. What I did is thoroughly clean the underside of the rubber trim, and attach a wide piece of painters tape for the length of it. I used the now longer surface area of the rubber trim to help guide it over the exterior trim piece and also guide the exterior trim piece under the rubber trim. One you install the exterior trim piece, you can easily pull off the painters tape.

The above could probably be explained easier with just one picture :) Maybe I'll get to take one this weekend when I reinstall my licenseplate LED.

4. Faine

Faine New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Man, I must have Completely missed what he was talking about there.

5. itommytang

itommytang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Peter, that was what I was looking for. I swear I was trying that method last night and it would not budge. Maybe I was just being a girl and not pulling hard enough. I was prying from the side where the notch was but once I heard a crack I stopped. Ill go back and try to pry from the middle window area instead. Any video/pictures would still help. Thanks

6. ptn

ptn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're scared to pry it with your hands, which can break the rivets or plastic on the trim panel, buy the proper trim removal tools. The video below will show you were the rivets are placed. He explains why he broke his.

I'm sure people have done it without trim tools and without breaking anything but they probably knew where the rivets were and where to put pressure. Good luck.

Second video below to show more of the rear hatch panel.

7. benny818

benny818 prius convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just go slow all the way around, those led lamps are bright once installed. Decided to plastidip the emblem since it's off the car now anyways ha!