1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED replacement lamps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jun 1, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    While I would normally add to the previous similar topic, it was getting old, long and difficult to read through.
    The source of bulbs was a Hong Kong importer on e-bay.
    I've found a source (http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm) that lists all bulbs, specs. etc. Looks like the same bulbs as the e-bay source. This place gives all specs.

The bulbs the Prius uses are: * And the ones I'm considering are: * (please check them yourselves - I don't know yet if they are suitable!)

High & low beam headlamp
    9003 or HID * No LED available *
    DRLs are 9003 low beam at lower power (Canada).

Parking light
    168/194/T-10 (5W) * WLED 5 (amber ok or white) *

Tail light
    168/194/T-10 (5W) * WLED 5 (red ok or white) *

Turn Signal
    7440 [amber] (21W) * Will mess up flasher *

Fog light
    9006 * No LED available *

License plate
    168/194/T-10 (5W) * WLED 5 *

Back up light
    7440 * 7440-W15 *

Front sidemarker

Map light
    168/194/T-10 (8W) * WLEDWHP *

Dome light
    3175 (also fit: 3022/3021/6428/6430) (8W) * 3022-x9 *
    (1.25", 31mm)

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area
    3022 (also fit: 3175/3022/3021/6428/6430) (5W) * 3022-x9 *
    (1.25", 31mm)

Brake lamps are already LED, as are high center lamps.

Again, don't just buy them from my list. I haven't checked whether they are suitable yet.

List of stock lamps from Daryldd. Thanks Daryl. Smarten up Toyota - that list should be in the manual.

Now my purpose here is to lower the current draw in case I leave a door open. I don't burn out bulbs (knocking on wood), and normal filament bulbs are cheap anyway.

So, interior lights are fair game for replacement. Perhaps backup lights and running lights, if practical. Turn signal lamps would require a load resistor in parallel with the LEDs so not much advantage replacing them other than the cool factor.

I agree with Daryl that using a resistor to limit current isn't the most efficient way, but currently (no pun intended), it's the only thing available.
    Care to post the cct. you used, Daryl? I didn't see anything on your site.

At any rate, as Daryl has already stated, these are cheap. Give them a try. You loose a few dollars if they don't last.

I'll probably start trying them out in a few weeks. Little busy right now.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm glad my list is helpful.

Yes, these replacements are cheap.... and that's about the extent of the good things I can say about them! I would caution everybody to stay away from exterior signal lights. These things are NOT as visible as the bulbs they replace, and they are not DOT approved... and I just wouldn't trust them in safety applications. Interior lighting is a different thing -there, it'll just be an annoyance.

You've asked if I'll post the cct... I haven't heard the term. Circuit? There are pictures of it all over my site, though I'm not planning on listing a Bill of Materials and how-to instructions. :)

3. c4

c4 Active Member

I agree with Darell.. I've got a Classic Prius which uses bulbs for the brake lights and none of the LED replacements that use arrays of the little 1/4" wide T1-3/4 sized LEDs are anywhere close to bright enough.. They look absolutely brilliant at night, but during the day, they are virtually impossible to see unless you're right up to the car..

The ones I finally found that were at least acceptable were the ones that used 3x 1 Watt emitters plus 9 standard LEDs around the edges.. I wish they were brighter still, but these are "state-of-the-art" as far as LEDs are concerned so there's just nothing else available that would be any brighter.. The reversing lights I left as bulbs, because even the 1W emitter was simply not bright enough to see anything when backing up at night..

I'd also recommend getting the appropriate colored LED bulb (ie red for brake/parking, yellow or amber for signal) vs. "white" LED bulbs for the simple reason that when a colored LED emits 1 watt's equivalent lumen output, it's all in the desired color (red, amber, etc), vs 1 watt's equivalent of white light, which has to then go through a red/amber lens to cut out all the other frequencies, leaving you with much less than 1W of light output.. In other words, a red LED bulb will look brighter than the same power of white LED bulb after it has gone through the red tail light lens..