1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED "tailight"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, Apr 2, 2012.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have changed over many of my "filament" bulbs "194" wedge and "7404" to LED that I bought from SuperbrightLED. Anyhow they worked fine for a period of time. I got pulled over by a "cop" telling me my right tailight is "out". I checked the "LED" on the opposing side and worked fine. So now I am "lost" on what to "check" next. I gotta drive at night.

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    pull it out and hook it up to the battery and test it.

1 person likes this.
  3. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks
    Not sure what is up, I disconnect 12v aux battery and reset everything now apparently okay.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be as simple as the bulb plug was not snugged onto the bulb enough. By your reseating things you corrected the problem! Keep an eye out however, it might be a bad LED that works for a bit, then winks out, only to "Work" again when power is reapplied!

1 person likes this.
  5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The sockets for those wedge bulbs on the Gen II are not the best design. It's just two round wires crossing each other. The contact patch must be quite small. I found that, on the wife's 2008 Prius, that you could remove a bad bulb reinsert it and it would sometimes work. Conversely, sometimes a new bulb would not work the first times it was inserted.

1 person likes this.
  6. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The filament "194" bulb went out on me a couple times but the bulb actually was "bad" and seem to occur/happen on weather,temp, rain,moisture and seasonal changes.

I was thinking or considering "die eletric grease" but did not come to that

Some of the Gen3 have filament type "wedge" bulbs for both exterior and interior applications

7. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I just "tested" or "hooked" it up on opposing side socket and worked fine so I knew LED was okay, and then later checked wiring,fuse, and socket.