1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left front tire shows signs of cupping...grrrrr

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jhinsc, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :mad: (Sorry if this has been addressed - PC search function isn't working this morning.) I have new tires with about 5,000 miles and I've made an appointment to have them rotated at Costco. The day after they were installed, I had an alignment done at the dealer. The left front tire is showing sign of cupping on the outer edge but the right front is wearing evenly. I run the fronts at 39 and rears at 36. I hope the dealer doesn't give me grief when I bring it back to have alignment re-done!

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you took your car in to Toyota, you should have received a piece of paper showing all 4 tires, and their alignment specs. Bring that back to the dealer, compare with new alignment.
    I am assuming your Toyota dealer has a laser alignment jig they drive your car onto! It makes for a very precise alignment. If they do not, find someplace that does.

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many miles do you have on the car?

iPhone ?

4. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just over 45k miles now and got the tires when I was slightly over 40k miles. I didn't get the paperwork of the alignment specs because the service dept was backed up and they knew I couldn't wait any longer. Service tech said she would mail me the paperwork, but never did. I do have the receipt showing I paid for one, but this time I will request I receive the paperwork before I leave. I have an appointment tomorrow to have the tire rotated at Costco so I'll get to the dealer later this week.

KK6PD likes this.
  5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately a lot of alignments don't work out due to untrained or careless technicians and uncalibrated alignment equipment. I had some alignment issues with my previous, Gen2, Prius. The only thing I would suggest is don't take it back to the same place. Ask around and try to find a shop that has a good reputation for alignments and good equipment and pay them to do it. I understand Hunter alignment equipment is considered the best.

My present, Gen3, has over 75K miles and has never been aligned since it left the factory. As long as the tires wear evenly and it continues to drive good I won't have it done. At one time I had an alignment with each set of new tires, no more.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cupping is usually, but not always, a shock absorber problem. At 45k miles you could need new struts.

The old bounce the car and see if it stops at the end of 1/2 cycle that our grandfathers did won't detect this shock problem. Shocks have gotten more sophisticated and long slow motions like when you bounce the front end of the car are controlled by different bits in the shock than short sharp movements like the motion that causes tire cupping.

If shocks fail grandpa's bounce test, they are bad. If they pass grandpa's test, they might be good or might be bad.