1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left the windows down in a rain storm, red triangle of death, and warning lights on.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by an0nm0n, Aug 2, 2016.

1. an0nm0n

an0nm0n New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Okay, so the other night I left my car's windows down in a rain storm, I went out the next morning, rolled them up, and was already in a hurry, so I left it and went out of town for a few days.

When I got up this morning to go to work, I went to start the car and was immediately greeted by the Red Triangle of Death, the VSC light, the orange exclamation mark brake warning light, and the red hybrid warning light.

Now, the vehicle will not start, enters ready mode, but the speedometer doesn't come up, and of course the car does not go into gear.

I checked the 12v battery with a voltage tester, reads a touch above 12 when not under load, and a hair under 11 under a 50 amp load.

Additionally, the inverter coolant pump is indeed functioning.

Car has 201k as far as mileage is concerned, I've put 60k on it, and the hybrid battery was replaced just before I purchased it.

In the three years I've owned the vehicle, I've never had a single issue with it, and have maintained it religiously.

I do not have a code reader that works with hybrid systems, and would really prefer not to need to have it towed to the Toyota dealership 20 miles away, so any insight as to how I could fix this would be incredible.

2. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Disconnect the negative lead from your 12 volt battery and see if the car will reset. Otherwise there really isn't any real magic here, you need the codes pulled to point you in the most direct path to resolution. Was your HV battery a new battery from Toyota or a rebuilt/remanned one or other? If you have a 12 volt battery charger you might try freshening up your 12 volt battery overnight while the negative lead is disconnected before attempting the reset. At a minimum I would classify your 12 volt battery as suspect in its current condition. See if you can read the date of manufacture off the 12 volt battery. Sometimes a 12 volt 4 or more years old can be problematic.

3. an0nm0n

an0nm0n New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wound up towing her to the dealership I work at, so I'll not be able to do anymore diagnostic work until tomorrow. I popped the negative cable off of the battery for a reset, but that didn't do anything.

I had it on the charger for about an hour this afternoon, but the ground was still connected, and thus, I did not realize until I was out of time that the interior lights were on while it was charging, so tomorrow morning I'll try disconnecting the 12v and then charging it.

I didn't have time to pull the positive cable, and the manufacture date appears to be under that, but there's a strong indication that it's borderline ancient.

As far as the hybrid battery goes, I do not have a recordas to whether or not it was a Toyota battery, aftermarket, or remanned, but until this, fuel economy was excellent and it's charge was absolutely within expected parameters at all times, so I find it highly unlikely that it failed.

At this point, I plan on ordering a 12v battery tomorrow. I've had the car for nearly 4 years and I sure as heck haven't replaced it, so it's probably high time for her to go anyway.

Final note, we don't have a hybrid diagnostic scanner at our dealership, but being as my boss is on me to buy/sell more hybrids anyway, I'm going to see if I can't get him to get me one :p

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota dealership, or pre owned cars?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whats the negative or positive lead have to do with charging the 12 volt battery? Just hook the charger to the front jump points under the hood. Don't need to disconnect anything.
    Order a mini vci which is a cheap hybrid code reader. Hundreds of posts about it here and available on Amazon.com.
    $25
    Don't spend alot of time on it till you get all the codes pulled. Post the codes here.