1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leg pain on short driver

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xrep, Jan 31, 2007.

1. xrep

xrep Junior Member

A friend just bought a new Prius and is ready to sell it. She is experiencing sciatica (pain shooting down her leg) because of the seating position. She is short and in order to reach the gas pedal, it puts more pressure on the back of her right leg. Has anyone else had this problem? How was it fixed?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xrep @ Jan 31 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]383263[/snapback]</div>
    How short? Is she so short that she can't move the seat farther forward? How about a pillow?

Tom

3. xrep

xrep Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 31 2007, 08:13 AM) [snapback]383283[/snapback]</div>

She is about 5'2". A pillow might "work" but I'm wondering if there might be like some pedal extenders or something. Perhaps she is going to have the seat cut down by a pro to make it work. I just want some options other than having her riding around with a whoopy cushion under the bumm. As for pushing the seat forward, if she does push it forward far enough so she reaches the pedals, her knee hits the dash.

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am 5' tall and have driven my Prius close to 14k miles since May '06. For me, it is absolutely the MOST comfortable car seat (driver's seat) I have EVER had in about 30 years of driving...and I have a permanent injury to my left ankle that causes me MANY back problems (the toe bone is connected to the nose bone...and if you got you a wonky foot, youze gonna walk funny, causing other problems related to gait and balance and suchlike). I also have a damaged tailbone. NO car (or just about any other) seat will be perfect for just about anyone. I have a gel cushion for the seat, and I use rolled up towels under/behind my arms/elbows to ensure my arms are supported correctly and I'm not straining my back by having my arms positioned incorrectly.

Generally speaking, there are a whole lot of ways to make a car seat fit you, well short of selling the car. If the problem is that bad for your friend, I would suggest that she see whatever doctors/physical therapists/whatever for specific advice.

I wish her much luck and less pain in any case!

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xrep @ Jan 31 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]383293[/snapback]</div>
    She must be adopting a very unusual posture to have her knee hit the dash. Your legs should be closer to straight out in a Prius, which keeps you well away from the dash. The only time I have heard of trouble with knees is on very tall people, who can't push the seat far enough back.

Tom

6. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xrep @ Jan 31 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]383263[/snapback]</div>
    I suggest that your friend gets someone to make wooden blocks, say 1" thick that fit each pedal. Drill two holes through each block and use two plastic ties to strap them to the pedals.
    Wooden blocks can be easily adjusted for thickness to get the correct pedal height. If this solves the problem get permant blocks made with a rubber shoe and bolt them to the existing pedals. They can be easily remove when the car is to be sold.
    Just be careful when testing the blocked pedals that your friend's feet do not slip off the pedals. We don't want to hear of an accident.
    For qbee42.
    I have problems with my knees being very close to the dash because I have to have the back of the seat sloping back more than normal. I therefore have to slide the seat forward otherwise my arms will not reach the steering wheel.
    I fear for my knees if I am involved in an accident.

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jan 31 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]383587[/snapback]</div>
    The whole arm length issue, or in your case, seat angle, is a problem. I'd love to be able to move the steering wheel in and out a bit to fine tune it for my arm length. I know others on PC have said the same thing.

Tom