1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Legal Advice?! Overspray on new 07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whitespider, Sep 5, 2007.

1. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is the continuation of a previous topic (Permanent dust), which was when the incident happened.

(Click to enlarge)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I washed my 07 Mag grey prius, the following day I come out of work for lunch to find my car was covered in a fine misted dust of white paint, from the painters trying to paint the fence. The ones at fault, my work, had their facilities manager on site saying how sorry he was and asked if we wanted to have a guy coem out and clean it or if he wanted us to take the car to get 'cleaned' and have him take the bill. I said the former if it would be easy because i didn't wanna deal with it... day ends and I find out it's not coming off with soap and water. So I get in touch with a company who could do the work (overspray.com) who tells me that my job will likely get a cheap contractor to do the work and in the process damage my car with scratches and such. So I go to Toyota's body/detail show and get an estimate. Thing comes out to almost $4,000 as they threw in the works; rentals, replace all affected panels, clean everything with wetsanding and buffing (which ruins one layer of clearcoat, which I shouldn't have to use up in the first place) and I go on my merry way. Next week rolls around and they have their 'guy' come in and do one of the many cars affected. Their cars are old and their glad just to see their vehicles shined up. Theres another new car other than mine in the mix. This guy got his car same time as mine, two months ago, and is with me on our seriousness for getting proper treatment. Anyways I gather up the rest of teh guys and we go to the facilities manager and tell him how we feel. He throws the confidence of the lord on us and sends us on our merry way. I decide I can see for myself if things will work with this 'guy' or if I will have to raise some hell.. or... something. So the first few cars get done, as I said. They didn't care if I little was left on the rubber and their trim/panels, but I. Did. New car comes up, not mine but the other gentleman's. His is worked on for many hours and as work ends we come out to inspect the work on his new car... the first words out of his mouth was "..they %#$^ed it up." and he pointed out two scratches he noticed. In the light I saw the body of the car had small scratches all over, like an old CD under reflection. Not to mention a lightening on one of the black panels where the 'guy' used thinner to get the paint off the panel on the door (oh and razorblades were used on the windows, FYI, if anyone is curious).

This is as work ends, so i'm forced to go home. I give my number to the new car owner to call me so we can discuss our next options and what to do. I call up my insurance and am told what I thought; my rate will go up if I do this with them and I might even get dropped for being so new with them. Ouch.. though not likely on the drop the rate increase will hurt, especially if I go with toyota's estimate of nearly $4000.

So here's where I stand.

What do I do? Legally.. what Can I do? Contact a lawyer? I can't FORCE the facilities manager to just accept my proposal to take it to toyota... oh did I mention their 'guy' was real cheap at $90 a car? Yeah..... Real great deal there....

I'm stuck. I'm young and not too experianced at all this so I'd like to ask fellow Prius owners for advice on this matter.

They have not touched my car, thankfully, yet (if at all).

2. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    UPDATE: I spoke to my father who works at a lawfirm and he said my insurance rate can't go up for something that's not my fault, that it's illegal. He said he would call my insurance HIMSELF saying his firm represents me to tell them that they couldn't do that and even though they said the rate may go up that they should know that i'm not an idiot and know better.

I need to speak to him more (he lives 200 miles away) and get more information, but basically i'm going with my insurance, paying my $500 deductible, and going on my merry way as they sue my work and get their money back.

3. lgamber1

lgamber1 New Member

unfortunately, i don't have any legal advice for you--though i think you are right that the insurance can't go up if it is not your fault.

just wanted to say sorry, though. that is so lame! and such a tricky situation. let us know how it turns out!

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    aww, that sucks! have you tried claying a small area yourself? maybe you could save the $500 by carefully claying on your own if you feel comfortable doing it.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Let your insurance handle it. They got sharks. That's what they're paid to do ... shake down the painters insurance company. Once the painter hands it of to their carrier, you don't EVEN want to have to deal with the war of attrition game they begin to play. Yes, I used to do ins. defense

6. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Sep 5 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]507542[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds great, now if there's a way to get out of the $500 deductible....

Oh and, for everyone who waw this topic before this post: Pics added to attract new viewers. People like pictures. :D Time to go take care of my leather to pass the time.

7. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Sep 5 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]507546[/snapback]</div>
    It might just be too late for this incident :( , but as I wrote in the cracked windshield post, lowering your comprehensive deductible to $100 or even $50 (as I did) does not increase your premium significantly (mine went up $14 per year, I believe) and really helps in situations such as these.

8. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't the people doing the painting have insurance?

I work for a government agency that contracts road work, including paint striping of roads. We require our contractors to carry insurance. If anyone contacts us to complain about paint overspray, we hand the complaint to our contractor, who has his insurance company handle the claim. Our contractors are required as part of our standard contract language to carry insurance to protect us, and handle all claims.

Harry

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a bit ignorant I guess but I thought insurance around the world would be similar.
    I have had rating 1 insurance for so long I have a protected rating 1. This means even if I make a claim my premium wont go up. Here you would mot have to pay an excess if you can identify the at fault party and you were not at all at fault. This would be one of those situations.

Even without protected rating 1 the premium would not increase if you name the at fault party.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Sep 5 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]507568[/snapback]</div>
    Aint that what I just said? Don't folks read other threads? :p
    (don't feel bad, I've done it too)
    Oh
    Your ins carrier will go after your deductible as well, btw.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's hard to say for sure without seeing the car in person, but I believe a good detailer could remove that overspray to your satisfaction.

Whatever you do, don't take advice on paint restoration from anyone whose experience is limited to wiping on a couple coats of Zaino Z-2 onto their car. They're clueless, and you could damage your paint by following their advice. Can't tell you how much bad advice on paint care I've read in this forum.

[Edited to correct spelling]

12. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Sep 5 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]507591[/snapback]</div>
    Except in our cases, we force our contractors to handle it directly, and the victims do not need to bother their insurance companies.

I would deal directly with the painting company first, and then with car insurance as a last resort.

Harry

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Sep 5 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]507606[/snapback]</div>
    IMO you should only have to deal with the painter and Alienware (since their subcontractor damaged your car on Alienware's property). Stand up for yourself to get all incidental & consequential damages covered. This means someone is providing transportation or paying for the rental while the car is in the shop. DO NOT touch the outside of the car. This is a job for a professional. If you try to clean it up (and don't) or cause additional damage that raises the question of liability. Don't provide a defense for them.

14. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Sep 5 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]507644[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know how to come off as demanding like that to them. What card do I hold to have them come my way like that, threat of a law suit? I guess I could do that, but for that one would go to their insurance to do it for them, no?

How would I achieve this end?