1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Legal ways to plug in for free - please share your ideas.

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Rybold, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I've been thinking a lot lately about - if you own an EV or plug-in hybrid, are there places that you can plug-in for free and legally?

First I started thinking in the era of EVs and plug-in hybrids, of store owners going out back only to catch an EV owner plugging-in while no one was looking, and then running after them, shouting "Hey! Come back here! You can't do that!"

That got me thinking ... are there ways that we can legally plug in? If you are in a public park, funded by tax payer funds, and there are electrical outlets in the park for people cooking and camping, it would seem legal. Does anyone have any ideas or experience that they can contribute? Thank you. :)

(If I'm correct, Costco Wholesale has free EV plugs for customers, right? You could stop by there a few times during the week on your way home from work, while you do some planned shopping)

1 person likes this.
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is one at our local library branch. Never seen anyone using it though.

Also, they used to have some outlets at a Raley's grocery store in Rancho Cordova. I think they have been removed now though, that was a few years ago.

1 person likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to name specific locations. I don't recall ever seeing them at my local Costcos.

1 person likes this.
  4. Capt Pat

Capt Pat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In another thread I was mentioning that last week I stopped in a rest area south of Richmond VA and saw two new charging stations for EV vehicles.
    Also read somewhere that a lot of major hotel chains were gearing up on installing the same facilities on their premises.

5. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Such public charging stations aren't free are they? I always assumed they would require some kind of payment?

6. Capt Pat

Capt Pat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I checked the ones on the VA rest area and they are free... so far!
    I also read the VA information and right now they are 110V plugs and soon to be 240V.
    Google Dominion Virginia electricity for further details. their web site shows youtube video of a plug in Prius parking and plugging to the post.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

ok... Costco in Tumwater, WA on Trosper Road. have been there many times, have plugged in there a half dozen times or so.

a growing # of businesses have provided free plugs for EV operation in the Olympia area, but mostly due to the work of Joe, an EV enthusiast.

he went around and petitioned several hundred local businesses and some did agree

New Page 1

Thank You Joe!!