1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Legislation to require hybrids to emit sound

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by HighBreed, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the news...

"Boy hit by hybrid car; mom says he didn't hear it coming
    It was something that had never occurred to Jane Flannigan, until she got the call Sunday that her eight-year-old son had been hit by a car while biking with a friend.

Owen Erickson was not badly hurt, though he did end up on the hood of the car. But when the car's driver moved his Toyota Prius from the street to the curb, Flannigan noticed something. "I saw the car, but I could not hear anything," she recalled about the hybrid vehicle which was operating on battery power at the time. "It is totally silent."

That's when it dawned on Flannigan, Owen never heard the Prius before he cut in front of it. "Bikers, runners, anybody out on the street, I think it's a huge safety issue," she said.

She's not the only one. Last month legislation was introduced in the U.S. House of Representative that could eventually require hybrids to emit a minimum amount of noise.

It's a priority piece of legislation for the National Federation of the Blind, which believes Hybrids pose a real threat to those who rely on noise from cars to keep themselves safe.

"These quiet cars that are very difficult to hear in the normal flow of everyday outdoor activity play a safety hazard," says Jennifer Dunnam, president of the NFB's Minnesota affiliate. "Blind people depend on their hearing to know what the traffic is doing."

Toyota has not taken a position on the legislation, but is aware of the concerns behind it. "We do have to step back and take a look," said John Hanson, Toyota's national manager of environmental, safety and quality communications. The Prius ranks third among Toyota models in sales, behind Camry and Corolla, according the Hanson.

Flannigan doesn't blame the driver of the Prius for running into her son, since Owen biked out in front of his car but she does cut her son some slack. "We're conditioned to hear car noises," she says. "This is a big safety issue."

2. acdii

acdii Active Member

Jesus, what ever happened to look both ways before crossing? I hate to say it, but my mothers 2007 Lincoln town car is just as quiet as the Prius is, and there are many other models out there that are just as quiet. What a lame freaking excuse, I didn't hear it, next time look first stupid.

How about looking first behind you, number 1 rule of biking, look around before turning, how about teaching them that, oh wait, I forget, lack of common sense runs rampant.

BTW, the TCH makes a sound when on battery, it whines, so did the Prius, my wife could hear it 30 feet away.

3. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 8-year-old saw the car but didn't hear it. So that makes it OK to ride into its path. Mom, have you been talking to a class action attorney to get your quotes?

The dangerous sound is that of Congress discussing how to make the Prius send out government-ordered noise.

4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a bunch of nonsense. A large percentage of the people out there are using iPods and cell phones who don't mentally pay attention to anything thing going on around them.

I think it would be more effective to pass legislation to require people to engage their brains whenever their feet are engaged.

Keith

5. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    this is like the most ridiculous thing ever. in america, people just cross the road like they own it. they dont stop and look both ways before they step onto the road. they just cross the road when traffic is approaching at 40mph and expect the cars will slow down or stop or dodge. they just walk in the middle of the road while cars are approaching and there's a nicely paved sidewalk by the road that they dont use, they just walk in the middle of the busy parking lot. and when they were hit, they sue. who to blame??? i almost hit a kid once. i was driving my loud a$$ honda. the kid just came out from nowhere. he crossed the road so quickly that i didnt even have a chance to honk. he didnt look both ways.. he just looked straight and crossed my path. when kids r playing on the street, they dont care. oh. if they want our prii to emit a noise because they're too quiet, they should pass a law to make all the bicycles emit a noise too since they're also silent. or make the biker shout as he rides. :blah:

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.