1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Legitimate beef, or am I being a baby?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by FirstAndTen, Apr 6, 2011.

1. FirstAndTen

FirstAndTen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now. Lot's of good energy and information on this forum. Thanks ahead of time for all the great stuff I am going to learn.

On March 28th, I put a deposit on a 2011 II Winter Gray. So excited. The dealer said it was in Seattle soon to be on a train for St. Paul. He said any day now.

So frustrated! Part of me thinks they did the old "any day now" delivery date when they knew full well it was going to be several weeks.

It's kind of funny how we can buy a $1.00 tube of toothpaste online and know it's every move from warehouse to our front porch, but when we buy a $25,000 car, it's "somewhere between Seattle and St. Paul".

A dealer wouldn't fudge on the delivery date just to get someone to sign on the dotted line, would they?? :D

I have a VIN number so I am not too worried. Thoughts?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Dealers vary, but yours sounds like they are playing it straight. There are a number of unknowns when it comes to delivery. For instance, the car may be at the shipping lot, but will it get on a train today or tomorrow, or perhaps in three days. The dealers only know when it passes check points, like being unloaded from the train.

Try to relax; it will get there eventually.

Tom

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Have you contacted your sales rep and requested an explanation? If not satisfied with the answer, ask to speak to the sales manager or the dealership manager.

A reputable dealer won't lie to you; but his best guesses might not be too accurate.

4. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    We have delivery by train here at work. Our steel comes from Columbia SC, approx 4hr by car from our shop.

Rail cars can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks to arrive on site. It really depends on where they stop, how they are loaded (where on the train) and how many switches they have to make before they get to you.

I know it's frustrating but they legitimately cannot tell you when the car will get there because of those variables.

OTOH imagine the price increase without trains, for us a train car is equal to 4 truck loads which would be equal to 800 miles one way with 4 trailers, 4 drivers, 4 tractors etc.

5. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat. Your new Prius can be traced and Toyota corporate people do know where the car is, but not always your dealer people. My bigger concern is whether or not the car is really on a boat and/or in the United States. If the car has not yet been built, then that's a different story since Japan has halted production due to the crisis. I'm sure your dealer is correct that delivery will be very soon. I certainly feel your excitement waiting for your new Prius. Everybody feels this way.

Let's us know when you take delivery. We'll celebrate with you!

6. FLteacher

FLteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought my car at the end of February and was told it would be at the dealer in 2 days. It was on a truck 2 hours away. My car was 2 days late, and I got free tinted windows out of the deal. So I can tell you even when they think they know when it's going to come, they aren't always right.