1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

legroom ... seat rails ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ramarren, Sep 3, 2006.

1. ramarren

ramarren New Member

I seem to recall seeing a thread on here that suggested the front seat rails could be reset back about an inch or so for improved legroom on the 2006 Prius. I can't find the thread at present ...

If this is true, is it something "normal" to request a dealer to do or is it something that requires intelligence? (note my cynicism is strong this morning ... ;-)

I have enough room to be comfortable with the seat at the rearmost position, stock, but it would sure be nice to be able to notch it back another half inch to an inch for some flexibility and relief when on a long trip. I'm planning to drive to NY from California around Thanksgiving time so would like to see what can be done to provide this before then.

thanks
    Godfrey

BTW: now up to 1250 miles, just filled the tank the third time. MPG so far was 43.2, 43.2, 44.9 ... I like this trend!

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the dealer won't do anything like that for you, it's a safety issue they won't take liability for. they really don't support any changes in the seat since it's so critical in the case of an accident.

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have heard of at least one person taking their Prius to a place that does mods for handicapped people to have the rails set back several inches. I can't remember if it was on PriusChat or the Yahoo 2G group though...

4. BadD

BadD New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Sep 3 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]313675[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Sep 3 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]313675[/snapback]</div>

5. BadD

BadD New Member

My dealer referred me to Toyota Mobility 800-331-4331 for modifications for accessibility. Don't know if they'll be helpful.

6. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BadD @ Sep 4 2006, 07:38 AM) [snapback]313955[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I'll check that out. Another inch of adjustable legroom would make a difference to me, judging by a 200+ mile drive I made yesterday. Oh to be cursed with long legs... ;-)

Godfrey

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  8. ramarren

ramarren New Member

9. BadD

BadD New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Sep 5 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]314538[/snapback]</div>
    I just spoke to Toyota Corp. who checked with Mobility. Modifications will affect the warranty. Is it worth it? My legs hurt all the time and I would not mess with the warranty. I'll probably be trading it in. Good luck.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Some have installed Recaro seats. There's a problem with losing the side airbag (a resistor is used to fool the car that it's still there), they're willing to lose that for less pain.

Instead some have added lumbar support to the OEM seats. Maybe that would help.

11. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 5 2006, 06:38 PM) [snapback]314793[/snapback]</div>
    I put the inflatable lumbar support module into my driver's seat. I can't see how that would help someone with too little leg room. Lower back pain, yes, legroom - no.

I had to remove the seat and rails to do this, so I got a good look at things. I don't see any way to lower the seats, but if the rails could be extended so that the seat runners could clear the rear mounting bolts, it might be possible.

However, you would be messing with the designed geometries for the seat belts and air bags. The seatbelt mounting point in the B pillar is not going to be shifting back with the extended seat movement and the driver will be further away from the steering wheel. Because of these safety concerns, I agree with BadD that if he doesn't fit the car, it is better to seek another car that does fit.

- Tom

12. ramarren

ramarren New Member

Thanks for all the info.

I suspect I'll just live with it as is. It's actually comfortable enough for me most of the time, the notion was to give a little more adjustment room so that on a trip I would have more choices to change position for long term comfort.

It just occurred to me that for a long distance trip I can just buy a pair of driving shoes with thin, flat grippy soles rather than my usual rather thick-soled New Balance 935s, which would net about 1.5" more legroom without changing anything on the car... ;-)

Godfrey

13. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Sep 6 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]315010[/snapback]</div>
    Hah! You did decide to go with the leg shortening, just not surgically. :) Actually, I'm only 5'10" and I have the seat almost all the way back, but I get to wear my New Balance shoes.

- Tom