1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Less than 1 week, already in an accident!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by surfacinglove, Apr 11, 2007.

1. surfacinglove

surfacinglove New Member

So my wife just ran into someone's bumper, both are smashed in about a foot around.

I'm in Seattle, WA area. Would it be cheaper to pay to fix her car and ours through insurance or pay out of pocket? I've recently moved here and have no idea how nasty the insurance rates will skyrocket... any WAians out there?

2. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is up with this? This is like the 3rd new Prius (less than 1000 miles) to crash in like a week.

:blink:

3. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

This Sux more than suck can suck.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

You know everybody is in a hurry. Too much of a hurry to cool it in a new car until they learn the differences. I mean, does not matter if the new car is a Hybrid or not, cars are different.

Most brakes grab when the car comes to a stop. Believe it or not, brake engineers try to design this out of the brakes. They want sliding friction all the way down as close to a stop as possible. Still, friction brakes do grab. They are also not as nearly powerful as the regen brakes on the Prius.

So people expect that as they are coming into a stop, that brake force will suddenly increase. They learn to stop the car 1 foot from the car ahead counting on the very high grabbing force.

Welp, the Prius brakes release from the much higher force regen brakes into the friction brakes at 7 mph. The friction brakes not having the power of the regen brakes causes the car to take longer to stop from 7 mph to 0, than from 14 mph to 7 mph. And that throws off people who were too impatient to take their time and learn the car.

Overtime it becomes second nature to push the pedal harder when the brakes transition, just as its second nature with most limo-esque drivers to lift the pedal on friction brakes when the grabbing starts.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully bad things only happen in threes, and we won't hear about
    more of them for a long time..
    _H*

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, surfacinglove, even if it isn't an auspicious beginning. I don't think we have enough information to give you much advice to answer your questions. What was the car your wife ran into, what year? How extensive is the damage? Have any pictures?

The Prius bumper cover (the painted plastic over the styrofoam block and metal bumper) runs about $500 with installation, IIRC. If the foam is damaged, that's another $70 or so. I have no idea about the other car's damage unless it was a Prius also. The total damage, both cars, and your insurance deductable amount should help you decide what to do.

Accidents happen, if no one was hurt it's just an inconvenience.

7. surfacinglove

surfacinglove New Member

Ok, so it turns out it's not THAT bad. A friend of mine used to do paintless dent repair, so he's gonna knock the front corner bumper back out for me. There are still some scratches and probably gonna be some weird curvitures (not perfect), but ehh, who cares really? A car's a car, these things are gonna happen.

Especially when my wife never really learned how to drive in the first place... (it wasn't the change of car that caused the accident, just careless observation in a parking lot!)

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In that case, and I don't mean to suggest this to be rude, but maybe she and/or you should do a driving class. There are some that really will help you, even if you know how to drive. And if you think she needs it more than you, you might go too just to give her emotional support, and still end up learning a thing or two.

In the long run, something like that might pay for itself.

Otherwise, my advice for stopping behind other cars: If you can't see the bottom of the rear wheels, you're too close.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Apr 11 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]421725[/snapback]</div>
    considering about 50,000 accidents a week in the US, it only shows that the amount of Priuses on the road in no longer insignificant.

10. surfacinglove

surfacinglove New Member

Yeah, since moving out to Seattle, I've been driving to work (60 miles daily) everyday, while she walks to school (Naturopathic Doctorate). And she hates driving, and I love driving. So it's been this perpetual downward spiral in her driving skills, lol. She's only driven like 3 times in 6 months... and the other day she needed the car so dropped me off, and this happened.

Anyways, I'm reteaching her how to drive. Mainly she never learned from her parents all the thought processes, what you should be thinking/watching for, etc. while driving. So now I talk out loud what I'm thinking and anticipating in my head so she can learn how to think while driving.

Like in the parking lot, scanning left and right, noticing reverse white lights on cars means to anticipate them to start backing out, so caution.

things like that... thanks for the tips though.

oh and the other car was a not so great condition ford focus, i rubbed most of the damage off her bumper, and my friend will adjust minor dents on her car too (I think he's gonna do it for free too, SWEEET)

Attached Files:

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Isn't that why you pay for the insurance? Just let them do their thing, learn from the experience, and move on. My car was hit with freeway debris 1200 miles from new, the 2nd week. $1300, my deductable was $500. Why would I want to pay the whole bit myself? Your damage looks very similar to mine: new bumper, grill, foglight, and door repaint (for me). Call Mr. Insurance man.

12. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Apr 11 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]421725[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder if it has to do with the owners playing around with the toys on the MFD. :huh:

13. surfacinglove

surfacinglove New Member

ok, it ends up being the car's co-signer (the step-dad) wants it done professionally certified body shop. $1400 estimate. definitely going thru insurance now... and getting my car fully repaired while I'm at it too. Should I take mine to the dealer for repair? Or will any decent body shop do? Total cost to me $500... not bad i suppose

14. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(surfacinglove @ Apr 12 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]422180[/snapback]</div>

I have never seen a automobile dealership body shop that does as nice a job fixing accident damage as a private body shop. I would recommend asking some friends for a recomendation, then going and looking at the shop itself. If it is sloppy, dirty and looks funky, it probably is. I had the rear bumper on my '05 hit and run in a parking lot one day when my wife took it to work. No note or nothing. Cost me $500 to have it repainted like new. I have never regretted having one of my cars fixed correctly.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(surfacinglove @ Apr 12 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]422180[/snapback]</div>
    Add a chargeable loss (or whatever they call it) to your insurance record. Sad fact is that sooner or later they will get their $900 back. Any body shop can fix the car. Some independant shops are probably better than the dealer, others probably worse. You'll have to shop around. Your insurance company may have a preferred shop where the work is good and the claim process is simplified.

AAA offers different driving courses that qualify for insurance discounts. Saves money in the long run even if you have a clean record.

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 12 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]422113[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. I myself have professional truck driver training and several years behind the wheel experience, I cringe when I see a woman putting on makeup and talking on the cell phone while drinking coffee, smoking a cigerette and reading the newspaper in heavy traffic. (yes I really did see this!) I believe too many people out there have no clue how to drive properly and it leads to crashes(there is no such thing as an accident when a car is involved). Everyone should take a course that includes, backing up a vehicle using the side mirrors, skid pad training, and weaving through a tight course. Learn where your corners are, and where your bumpers are and the proper techniques for using the brakes, and there will be many fewer crashes and mishaps out there.