1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Less than 50 mpg even when all electric

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by steve10b, Aug 4, 2006.

1. steve10b

steve10b New Member

I've had my 06 Barcelona Red since January and I've noticed several times after I get to work (20 minute drive urban boulevard and freeway mix) that when I'm slowling crusing in the parking lot, even though I'm on all electric, the computer is reporting 30 to 40 mpg. This doesn't happen all the time. Is there some internal condition causing this or might something be wrong with the computer?

Steve

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve10b @ Aug 4 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]297727[/snapback]</div>
    If it's all electric, the MFD will show 99 mpg. If the ICE is running for any reason, then you will get a lower mpg reading, since fuel is being consumed. My best guess is that the ICE is running quietly so that you don't notice it.

Tom

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with qbee, your ICE is running. If the ICE or the catalytic converter are cool, for example, the ICE will run to warm them up.

I would add that a lack of arrows from the ICE on the energy display does not mean that it isn't running, it just means it isn't supplying power to the wheels or the battery.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It would have been nice if Toyota designed the ICE icon on the MDF to either move or change color when the ICE is in motion. That way we would have some kind of indication of what is going on and why we are getting lower than expected MPGs at that moment in time.
    [ HEY TMS . . . YOU LISTENING? :) ]

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 4 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]297787[/snapback]</div>

This is pretty much the reason why I plan on hooking up a tach.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like one of those situations where the car just refuses to turn of the ICE even though you're going slow and not applying much pressure to the accelerator (almost called it a gas pedal there... lol). I've found the best thing to do is to reach over and hit my EV button. that tends to kill the ICE real quick.

with the stated 20 min drive prior to this occuring, you shouldn't have to worry about warm up or anything like that. the car is just being stubborn.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Hi everybody! I'm new here (proud Prius owner for a week)!

I have a totally different but related question. On my drive to work today, I was able to go for a couple of long stretches (like a half mile) going > 60 mph, with the arrows from the ICE towards the wheels, and 97 - 99 mpg. This is in the first 5 minutes of driving. Does this make sense, or do I have the Prius that laid the golden egg?

8. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 4 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]297831[/snapback]</div>
    I think CoastalETech has a device that alerts you instantaneously when your ICE runs via LED's (other LED's signify other actions, can't recall). If you just want to know when the ICE is on, this seems simpler in installation and probably cheaper than a tach, although with a tach you can make some interpretations of the ICE health...

9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 4 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]297848[/snapback]</div>
    Normal. You're not asking much of the engine and going 60+, so you are getting 99MPG. On downhill highway stretches, you can even get the electric to kick in and "power glide" for a while. Mind you, the engine is still turning anytime you are going over 40.

As for the engine in the parking lot after a 20 minute drive..
    This used to bother me sometimes too, when the Prius seems to have a mind of it's own. But their are reasons it doesn't want to do what you want it to do. Your AC or heater could be on and using Electricity. Or the battery state is not right. The car monitors battery condition, temp, etc. and sometimes decides it's better not to switch to battery right now. I've found that the battery performance gets more predictable as it gets broken in. Also, I have learned to better manage it myself too.

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 4 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]297848[/snapback]</div>

At 60 MPH, yeah, that can happen. In warmer areas (like CA in your profile), the car doesn't really need to do all taht much to warm up. The ICE is essentially idling during the warm up period, burning very little fuel. When i pull off my street in the morning (less than a minute after starting the car), i accelerate up to 40 MPH and ease off the gas, usually seeing 80ish MPG... so 99MPG is definately possible during warm up when attempting to glide at 60 MPH.

11. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something I noticed for the first time last week. Selecting EV mode changes the MFD to show the Energy display regardless of which display you were looking at.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only REAL fix here is an ICE-ectomy! :)

13. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

I dont know what you are complaining about, your Prius gets the best gas mileage of any vehicle made.