1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Less than a week old....

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by graygoose, Jun 7, 2011.

1. graygoose

graygoose New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just picked up my Prius 2 last Thursday and really like it. First car I have ever purchased without driving it first! Got the Winter Gray color as availability was limited. First tank got 42.3 MPG. Somewhat confused as car's readout said over 47 MPG?? Very quiet car compared to my old ride-'06 Subaru Legacy sedan. Already looking into a HID(Xenon) component kit for the low beams. Plan on putting my road bike in the car with seats down. Think I need the rear bumper protector and a full length cargo mat? Hope mileage increases-have just reached 600 miles on the odometer.

2. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The computer will always overestimate somewhat, but it may be possible that the dealer reset the consumption for you, but had some extra test drivers prior, or didn't fully fill up the vehicle before getting it to you, since that is a very high percentage of error. Over a couple tanks you'll get a feeling for the percentage difference and will have a better idea of the real mileage as you drive it.

At first, I'd suggest driving it "normally" and not babying it. A lot of people try to drive it like it's a fragile little puppy and find they get worse mileage. After you're totally used to it, then go and try some other techniques you'll find here to give yourself little mpg boosts.

Congratulations on the car and welcome!

3. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on your new Prius and welcome to PriusChat :welcome:

A lot of PriusChatters say that computer MPGs are a few higher than actual. Get through a couple tanks and check out Radioman's video on driving efficiently:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...pg-driving-tips-video.html?highlight=radioman

I use a blanket instead of the cargo mat, but I suppose it doesn't look as good as a custom mat.

Enjoy the high MPGs, technology and low emissions.