1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Let he who is without "sin" cast the first stone..

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by livelychick, Nov 3, 2006.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 3 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]343198[/snapback]</div>
    Can we get the whole list of why you left the church. Only giving us #1 really leaves us on the edge of our seats wondering what the rest of the list is like. Don't tease us like this.

And, please be more clear. Are you saying you left the church because of the hypocricy of the gay community? They say they don't meet anomyously in the back room for this stuff, but here we find out at a national level that it's really the rage. That shouldn't make you leave the church, but maybe you are hyper sensitive to the gay movement and all the double speak.

Looks like the 'church' is doing the right thing to me. The guy who's accused steps aside while the 'church' figures out if he did it or not. If he did it, the 'church' will depose him from his positions he held and probably work with him toward restoration. Probably not restoration to a position of leadership, but restoration with his family and his faith. Sounds like the 'church' is handling this perfectly.

If you are waiting for all the people inside the church to be perfect before you get your act together with God, you'll never get the job done. Everyone inside is subject to failure just like you will be if you ever get yourself back in the chair on the inside. There would be no point in having perfect people hearing messages about getting their life right. The guy at the top in any of the churches should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us. They know that when they take the job and it would appear he is being held to that higher standard.

Anyone with a stop watch notice the time lag between Ted's problems starting and his stepping aside while the facts come out and the time lag between Kerry saying his stupid thing and when he finally appologized?

I missed it with my timer, just wondering if anyone else caught it?

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 3 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]343198[/snapback]</div>
    Such a typical story... I always think it's all about control with these religious leaders, wanting to control who has sex with who, who can have an abortion, etc. Trust Pink Floyd when they tell you:

by the cold and religious we were taken in hand
    shown how to feel good and told to feel bad
    and strung out behind us the banners and flags
    of our possible pasts lie in tatters and rags

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And speaking of things that make you go hmmmmmm, look at this crew fighting for marriage.

[​IMG]

5. daronspicher

Let's make sure we get everyone here on the record with your condemnation. We don't want the facts to get out before you take a swipe at this guy as if he's guilty on all counts.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You know each church has its members that sleep around and its kept quiet. The preacher does his sermons and life is good, some churches are better than others in this field. I visited a church for a month & was introduced into the adult singles group I found it funny the women & men would see who was going to attempt to sleep with who....

LOL I left and never went back....

I now attend a small country church on Easter, Christmas & other special occasions...

7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd think a little time needs to pass and avoid a "rush to judgement" like they said during the O. J. Simpson trial.

If it turns out Ted Haggard did those things, they will get a pastor that "walks the talk".

Any creed is going to have bad examples - enough that you can easily be cynical and jaded about everything if you do that.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More evidence that hypocrisy is a particular specialty of reactionaries, both political and religious. If he's innocent, why did he quit his preachin' jobs so quick?

Oh, and now here's a statement from his former church saying that he admits to "indiscretions", but not which ones: http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/4557411.html

9. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 3 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]343259[/snapback]</div>
    - Nobody "owns" hypocrisy

- Resigning quickly is suspicious, but hypothetically it's possible that false allogations could make it impossible for Haggard to serve in his positions

- Some of the allegations he admitted to. If that includes having sex, he can't return.

10. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Nov 3 2006, 08:26 AM) [snapback]343234[/snapback]</div>
    Which small country do you go to for these services? And could you give me the name of the church you left? Sounds interesting.....

It seems that so many churches have agendas that go way beyond the commandments. Last church I went to was an independent Catholic church, if you can imagine that. They didn't recognize the pope. So the priest in charge got himself made a bishop and acted more like the pope than the pope did.

With all the important things that need doing in this world, the churches spend entirely too much effort on the one thing that is causing no far reaching problems: relations between men and women. When people are homeless and without hope, who cares who is sleeping with whom?

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With all the important things that need doing in this world, the churches spend entirely too much effort on the one thing that is causing no far reaching problems: relations between men and women. When people are homeless and without hope, who cares who is sleeping with whom?

Well said! :)

The large church that I attended were this was happening was in N. Orlando.

The country church is near Daytona

12. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 3 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]343205[/snapback]</div>
    I could give you a list many more reasons, but frankly, the hypocrisy itself was enough. I'm not on Letterman here. Oh, and btw, I'm straight.

I have never asked for anyone inside the church to be perfect. It is in each person's imperfections that humanity and humility is born. All I wanted from a church was a truthful assessment and acceptance of imperfections without preaching hatred. Or exclusion.

My problem is HYPOCRISY, not SIN. If this guy had NOT been the one out there preaching time and time again that to be gay is wrong, and a sin, and that the government should change its laws to condemn those who are gay, I would have little problem with him having a gay affair.

I do, however, have a big problem with people in glass houses, though. And ths guy not only had a glass house, but a glass pulpit.

It would make me overwhelmingly happy to find out that Dobson has similar skeletons.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    haven't you heard the saying? "do as i say not as i do"

the principle behind that saying is getting more and more popular...

14. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 3 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]343292[/snapback]</div>
    I guessed that from your avatar, but knew I could be mistaken. Not that there is anything wrong with that...... :rolleyes:

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 3 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]343292[/snapback]</div>

:lol:

No you're not.

I challenge your claim.

You know how it works, you must provide evidence to support your claim, let's see it, or will you be a hypocrite and tell us to take it on "faith"?

16. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  17. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 3 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]343205[/snapback]</div>
    Here's why I left:

10) My pew mates complained of my bathing habits.

9) The choir sang punk rock.

8) Bill Clinton made me do it.

7) They took four collections with baskets that announced the amount given.

6) The minister looked straight at me when he talked about hell-fire.

5) A blind person only got one eye cured.

4) My Armani suit looked cheap next to the minister's.

3) My picture was in the post office when I missed a week.

2) The IRS questioned my $30,000 annual anonymous basket donations and the church wouldn't back me up.

1) A statue of Jesus cracked in half when I stood in front of it.

You back in your seat now?

18. daronspicher

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  20. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 3 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]343320[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but he didn't inhale or swallow or whatever:

Embattled minister Ted Haggard admitted to reporters today that he purchased methamphetamine from a male prostitute he had contacted about a massage. Haggard said he never used the drug and threw it away.

Sure...