1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Let me just clarify this, EV Mode:

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by darkecho, Aug 11, 2006.

1. darkecho

darkecho New Member

from what I am reading, it sounds like EV mode (the mod with the switch) is just to make it easier to stay in electric only mode for short trips.

so basically, someone with EV button and someone without EV button can both acheive the same result (perhaps reparking) but the EV button just makes it easier to stay in EV mode. wheras the other person is going to have to deal with the pedal and not accelerating too fast?

I get the feeling that some people around here think that EV mode makes your car more efficient, when in reality, its just to make it easier to move your car a short distance without having your car sacrifice the gas it takes to warm up the engine etc etc just to move it a few feet~down the block~across the street.

Is this correct?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but I'll elaborate

- EV mode does allow you to accelerate harder and stay in EV

- EV mode allows the engine to stay off if activated at start up so you can move your car without having the engine stay on

- EV mode allows you to shut off the engine at places you know the engine normally shuts off (e.g. the last downhill stretch to work/home)

- EV mode allows you to move in poorly ventilated areas such an non-commerical underground carparks (e.g. apt or condo)

EV mode may or may not increase your efficiency. It depends on how you use it. I use it to keep the engine off moreso than staying in EV and using the battery

3. darkecho

darkecho New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 11 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]301769[/snapback]</div>

can you accelerate hard-hard or will the engine kick on if you are accelerating at a certain rate?

and, you said that it allows you to shut off the engine at places the engine normally shuts off... that doesnt make sense to me, if it normally shuts off, why do you have to shut it off manually?

from my experience, its sort of frusterating getting used to feathering the pedal to get the EV mode activated, this switch basically widens the threshold throttle position to make it easy to stay in EV without accidentally moving too much out of position right?

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 11 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]301779[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the ICE will kick in if you accelerate too hard. I had that happen when I first installed the mod. I thought it had been installed wrong. :)

There's a bit of coolness about it. I've used it while leaving a gas station. I've also used it to drive home from a nearby store where I stopped on the way home from work. Others use it daily, I mainly use it when I'm driving to another store in a large parking lot.

5. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once the ICE cuts in, is that the same as cancelling EV mode? (pulling CC stalk and holding it for 2 secs)

6. darkecho

darkecho New Member

did you install the Coastal version of the mod? I looked at their module, it looks like it doesnt use a switch, how do you activate it?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 11 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]301779[/snapback]</div>
    Once the accelerator pedal pasts an angle set by the parameters, EV mode will cancel

Why? Cause sometimes the engine won't shut off because the cat converter is cold or the engine itself is cold or other reasons that I'm unaware of

Coastal's uses the Cruise Control switch

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 11 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]301797[/snapback]</div>
    To elaborate a bit, to activate (or deactivate) Coastal's you pull the CC stalk for 2 seconds. If you use the CC on a regular basis, you won't have any problems as you normally don't pull the stalk that long.

There are other (and even cheaper) ways to activate the EV mod than Coastal's, but it's very easy to install (aside from getting that pin in).

9. darkecho

darkecho New Member

I see, so if you use CC often, you can still use the cancel mode without conflict, but you have to pull the stalk towards you for 2 seconds to turn on/off?

so if in EV and CCing at 30 mph, you can cancel CC without affecting the EV mode and vice versa?

is there a DIY version to be able to use the CC stalk or do you have to use a Switch?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure why you'll CC in EV mode lol since if you set the CC and you have a flat surface and a good enough charge, the CC will cruise in EV mode anyway.

11. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 11 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]301809[/snapback]</div>
    Right. Now I only use the CC on the freeway so I don't have any conflicts with the EV. I suppose if you had the CC and EV on and pulled the stalk (and held it for 2 seconds), first you'll lose CC and then the EV, but that's just a guess.

There is a DIY version. It's almost free, but you don't use the CC. You use the turn signal lever, specifically the "flash to pass" part. It involves removing one end of a wire a wire, cutting it, adding wire and plugging the end into pin #27 in a certain plug (all of the EV mods plug in to that place). You will lose the ability to "flash to pass" (a minor problem IMHO) in the daytime, but it'll activate quickly (ie no 2-second wait). It's more involved as you're running a wire all the way from the steering wheel to the far right side where the plug is. In the Coastal version all the work is done on the far right.

12. darkecho

darkecho New Member

Hm, I think that I will try the free version. you LOSE the ability to flash? I would assume that if you just "tapped" into the wire, you could send dual signals with the lever, so in effect, you would be flashing AND going into EV mode.

hm..

so at night time, if you were going to flash the brights, you would be telling your car to go into EV mode...............

maybe thats not such a good idea.

I think a momentary button might be a better idea. do you just have to send a one-time 12 volt signal?

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No not exactly a "flash" is pull and release, sort of like your rain coat. open, close. Starting the EV is open hold for 2 seconds close ( or release) different.

14. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 11 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]301906[/snapback]</div>
    Actually it's a brief short from Pin #27 to ground. All EV mods do that. If you want to see the headlight version, you can take a look at http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=5 to see the procedure, with pictures.

Sigma Automotive sells the OEM button, which gives you your regular controls.

The final method is to connect a pin to #27, run a wire from there to a push-button you select and run a wire from there to ground. You can put the button anywhere you choose.

15. darkecho

darkecho New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 11 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]301953[/snapback]</div>

that sounds really simple actually...

so all that a switch would do would be completing the circuit between a ground and PIN 27...

that sounds pretty simple... so all you have to do is take a paperclip, solder it to 22gauge wire it, put it in pin27, run the other end of the wire to where you want your switch, attach it to a switch, attach another peice of wire to some sort of bare metal, then attach that wire to the switch as well so that when pressed, the switch grounds pin27 correct?

is there any other wire in pin27? or is it an open spot? thanks!

16. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 13 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]302564[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but you'd use a momentary contact switch (like a push-button), not a switch that's on/off.

If you lived in Japan and Europe there'd be a wire there, but that's because you'd already have the EV mode. :) It's a open spot in North America.

17. darkecho

darkecho New Member

Fantastic..... this will probably be one of the easiest mods ever...

18. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 13 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]302564[/snapback]</div>
    Let me clarify a two things here. The "PIN" is on the computer side. The plug side is sort of a square "barrel" type connector. Female, so the paper clip is not the best idea. Second, there is a lot of talk about how difficult it is to insert the "PIN" into the #27 slot. Here's the trick (If you're daring) Once the (grey) plug is removed you'll see a white sort of insert on one side. If you remove it the "PIN" drops right in. If you screw up or sneeze all the wires could pop out then you f*#ked ! :eek: :eek: Be careful!! :mellow:

19. Aussie56

Aussie56 New Member

I use EV mode when coming to the end of my journey (I live on a hill), so that when I move off the next time, I know the battery will be charging.

I also use it when the battery is fully charged (green) in certain conditions, because if the battery is fully charged, you don't get the benefit of storing any additional charge if you have some steep declines. So it's best to burn off a little charge. You can only pulse and glide so much, but when it looks like you'll exceed the speed limit because of a decline, you're forced to either let the foot off the accelerator and let it coast, or brake gently.

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 11 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]301741[/snapback]</div>
    As others have pointed out, the EV mode will allow you to do things that are impossible without the mod. AS you've stated below, in fact.

Correct! Mostly use mine when I need to move the cold car around the garage/driveway, and have no need for the ICE to start. There is no other way to keep the ICE off in this situation (unless you can move it in under seven seconds before the ICE automatically kicks on normally!)