1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Let the mods begin - Cadillac Horns, HID Fog Lights, ! Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Joe-G, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello Prius Chat, new owner here of a 2010 IV w/ Solar Roof. First Prius for me.

So far loving the car, but I come from the Corvette world where I've been modding them for performance for years. My current 6-speed Convertible Vette goes 10.81@ 128 with heads/cam/headers and 4.10 gears.

My first tank in the Prius was 47.7 mpg..but that included 4 drag strip runs. My second tank, after I've watched the YouTube videos on the glide technique, is at 52.9 mpg after 280 miles.

While I love the mileage, I hated the plastic hubcaps, the shoddy looking filler caps where the driving lights go, and the wimpy stock horns.

So, first things first. ! plastic hubcaps, purchased factory center caps from Ebay...$64 later looking good. I am amazed Toyota covered up these beautiful rims.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Bought an HID fog light kit from Ebay, $124 shipped. Factory bezels, switch and lights, 4300 HID bulbs & ballasts.

HUGE THANKS to Spiderman for this thread and his install documents w/ pics. Very helpful.

2010 Prius Fog Light Install [Retrofit] | PriusChat

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And most importantly, I purchased the four horn Cadillac system (notes A C D F) from Ebay for $65. This is my favorite mod...the horns fit in four existing tapped holes in the Prius header panel. Super easy install, used the two factory bolts and two spares I had in my garage. Great mod...nobody expects this car to sound like this.

Before:

After (the phone mic doesn't do these babies justice...they are LOUD.

Next mod....HID headlights. On order. I will say mods for the Prius are about 1/3 the price of Corvette mods!

Blu-ray and OceanEyes like this.
  2. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice horn mod! My late stepdad had Cadillacs and hearing that sound from a Prius made me smile!

3. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could add the caddy horn. Too bad one has to take the whole front end off to do it.

4. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's very easy to do. 10mm socket and a flat screwdriver. Don't be afraid to try! You only need two bolts to complete the horn install.

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to the Prius family

6. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the way, my phone doesn't capture just how loud these horns really are...

This Video I found on YouTube was our inspiration for the mod. My 10 year old son had never heard Caddy horns, after watching this video, he was pushing for the mod on our Prius. ;)

This real camera has better sound than my phone...the Prius sounds like this too.

OceanEyes likes this.
  7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have heard Amtrak trains that sounded like that!!!! Recently!;)

Good Gawd, if the average John Q. Public driver heard that from a Prius I daresay he'd be changing his shorts...:rolleyes: (Mental note to self... mod to have!)