1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Let's see if I got it right...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jnmontario, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jnmontario

jnmontario Junior Member

I'm getting my first Prius next week (an 07 package #3).

1 - I'm buying it from the states and importing to Canada. Am I right in understanding from all of my reading on the site that there's a simple menu function that switches the dash display from mph to km/h (at first I'd thought it might be a MFD hack and spent 1hr browsing threads)?

2 - Also, if I'm doing 99% highway driving (I'm VERY rural), I'm assuming an EV mod is not going to get me a lot of extra bang for my buck (like none)?

3 - I think from my reading that it's simpler to bring the vehicle to a Canadian Tire to get the main bulbs act as DRL rather than screw around with having your signals act as DRL (as per the webelectric hack).

4 - Finally, to get rid of irritating beeps etc.. use the following
    Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to digging into this community now that I've discovered it.

2. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm kinda new to the Prius (less than 2 months) myself, but the '08, which I believe is pretty much the same as the '07, has a button on the dash to switch to km/h from mph and vice-versa.

Also, you'll find that your highway driving will be benefited by the EV, the car uses both that and the ICE at highway speeds, and while your mileage will depend on how lead-footed you are (just like in non-hybrids), you'll still find yourself getting much better mileage than what you were driving previously, and if you are willing to slow down a bit you'll get truly great mileage. So yes, you'll potentially get a lot of extra bang for your buck.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No advantage for you to do the EV mod. It's mostly a toy, but can be useful for moving a short distance in a parking lot, or holding off the ICE for a short period.

A simple button push switches to metric, but note that it's only the dash display. Other parts are hard coded in imperial.

As you suggest with the lights, although I haven't had to do that since I live in the states.

Tom

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the 07 has a button right on the dash to switch from MPH to Km/H. It is fun if you have a co-pilot who likes to comment on your speed too much.

Honey, you-re going 65 MPH, the limit is only 60 here, Nag Nag Nag1

It is such a fresh change of pace to here her gasp and say Honey, you-re going 105 MPH, and not even make mention of what the limit is.

Or to have her use the car and say "Honey, there is something wrong with the car. I drove the way I always do, but is says its only going 13 MPH though our neghborhood. When I was going 40, everyone kept passing me!"

5. jnmontario

jnmontario Junior Member

thks for all the helpful advice!