1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Letter to Ann Coulter's mother

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, Jun 11, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I hate to bring up ANOTHER Ann Coulter topic (we should all just hope she goes away!), but this letter that was in her mother's local newspaper (from the newspaper's editor) was too poignant not to pass on.

http://www.connpost.com/search//ci_3924863

Dear Mrs. Coulter,

Congratulations on your daughter's success. I'm sure you are proud of Ann's
    latest work, "Godless: The Church of Liberalism." It's already the top
    seller on Amazon.com and is obviously provocative, given the hundreds of
    reviews that are flowing in.

I haven't read it yet, so I wouldn't dream of commenting on the actual
    book. But, there is one thing that really disturbs me and that's her
    diatribe against four New Jersey women whom she dubs "The Witches of East
    Brunswick" whose husbands died in the 9-11 terrorist attacks.

Here's the money quote that has even made Tucker Carlson and Bill O'Reilly
    squeamish:

"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them,
    reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis. I've
    never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much."

The widows — Kristen Breitweiser, Lorie Van Auken, Mindy Kleinberg and
    Patty Casazza — came to Capitol Hill often in the wake of the Sept. 11,
    2001 attacks. They came seeking answers to how al-Qaida was able to hijack
    four commercial jets and topple the World Trade Center towers where their
    husbands worked.

They acted out of grief, just as others have.

Candy Lightner of California founded Mothers Against Drunk Driving and
    lobbied for stiffer DWI penalties after a drunk driver killed her daughter
    in 1980.

Maureen and Richard Kanka of New Jersey, pushed for a sex offender registry
    after a child molester abducted and killed their daughter, Megan, in 1994.
    Now we have Megan's Law.

And John Walsh of Florida lobbied Congress for a missing children's bill
    after his son was abducted and murdered in 1981. Walsh now hosts "America's
    Most Wanted" on Fox Television, which profiles unsolved crimes.

Through my work, I met the New Jersey widows — and other 9-11 family
    victims — often over the last five years because Sen. Joe Lieberman,
    D-Conn., and Rep. Christopher Shays, R-4, took up their cause.

Shays, in particular, has continued to fight for additional reforms that
    the 9-11 Commission recommended. He is driven largely by the memory of 87
    constituents who died in the attacks. Those 87 individuals were your
    neighbors, too.

Anyway, the widows came to Washington and pushed for an independent
    commission and then lobbied for the commission's recommendations to be
    implemented. They never sought celebrity and I never saw them enjoying the
    deaths of those they held dearest.

Ann is quite the partisan, so I assume what offends your daughter most was
    that they endorsed Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry for president in 2004.

From what I could see, they were not all Democrats to start but were driven
    to Kerry's camp largely out of frustration. They did not believe President
    Bush and House Republican leaders would actually act on the 9-11 Commission
    report.

Ironically, the day your daughter's book was released the former 9-11
    Commission leaders — Thomas Kean and Lee Hamilton — appeared before Shays'
    subcommittee to talk about what has happened in the last two years since
    their report was released.

Here's how Kean summed it up: "We are still not safe — a little safer, but
    still not safe."

A neighbor of yours was also at the hearing to urge Congress to adopt the
    rest of the 9-11 Commission reforms.

Like the "Jersey Girls," Mary Fetchet has been there from the beginning.
    Her 24-year-old son, Bradley, died in the second tower.

Mary is a remarkable woman. She used to work at Bridges in Milford as a
    social worker but quit after Sept. 11, 2001 and founded Voices of September
    11 to provide advocacy and support to all those impacted by the terrorist
    attack. They are still at work out of an office in New Canaan.

Unlike the "Jersey Girls," Mary has remained non-partisan and continues to
    travel to Washington to lobby for a safer America. She doesn't do it for
    fame or money. She does it in memory of her son and the hope that no other
    mother should suffer a similar fate.

Mary lives over on Sunset Hill Road. It's maybe a six-minute drive from
    your place. You really should encourage your daughter to meet her. The
    experience might thaw her frozen heart.

Sincerely,

Peter Urban

Connecticut Post

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What do you think the point of this letter was?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 11 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]269601[/snapback]</div>
    Did you read it? It's quite clear. Ann made libelous statements accusing people she doesn't know of abusing their 'fame' from 9/11. Clearly Ann is completely unaware of the facts and made these slanderous statements only to advance her own agenda while Mary, at least is doing positive things for the world.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 11 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]269601[/snapback]</div>
    I think the bigger point is that while Ann Coulter will sell books by being outrageous, she actually helps the cause of those opposite her in the political spectrum.

No one will dare question anything the "Jersey Girls" say, even if they do it rationally and respectfully, because Coulter has poisoned the well. They are effectively off limits now because Ann couldn't criticize while at the same time being respectful to the memory of the 3,000 victims on 9/11.

A staple of conservative talk show hosts is to repeat the outrageous and stupid comments by Hollywood actors and other entertainment people and present those as representative of the "mindset" of liberal Americans. Actors and other entertainers can be highly talented but dumb as rocks, and seeking their opinion on political issues makes as much sense as seeking the opinion of plumbers: they may or may not know what the heck they are talking about. Its unfair. Actors don't represent the liberal Democrats any more than Coulter represents the conservative Republicans.

Ann Coulter has given the pundits on the left enough material for years. The Republicans could lose elections because of her. Ann Coulter is not a party analyst, nor is she a political operative, she's a lawyer who has a gift for invective and outrageous statements. She isn't in any way representative of the right, but she has given the left the ammunition to win elections. And she has contributed to the poisoned atmosphere in American politics today.

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Wow, what a new low... No surprise though...

Yeah, go run whining to her mother... :lol:

If it were me though, I'd have a trusted "buffer" pay some street thug drug addict $500 up front, $500 upon completion, to land the guy in the ICU (with an explicit request to "rough" sodomize him with no condom (preferrably the drug addict would be HIV positive)), and spend maybe $500K to make his life as miserable as possible for his employer, family, AND kids, through various legal mechanisms.

...but of course, that's only me....

:D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 11 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]269632[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Yeah, like no one makes libelous statements about Ann Coulter without knowing her... :lol:

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 11 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]269632[/snapback]</div>
    I am asking "What is the point of addressing this letter to AC's mother." I don't think that it has anything to do with the remarks made by Ann which her mother really has no control over. It's simply a mean spirited diatribe to inflict pain and/or shame on another person that knows and I'm sure loves AC. Shameful really. :(

Wildkow

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 11 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]269726[/snapback]</div>
    It also makes me wonder why the right still has so much hatred and anger towards so many people when the right is in control of virtually everything in Washington. I don't say it enough but I don't consider myself a democrat any more than I consider myself a republican and this incessant vitriol is one reason why. Ann Coulter is the embodiment of the extremist right's views which is why she's paid attention to. That and the fact that she's a woman who's easy on the eye and quick with the retorts to challenges of those extremist opinions.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wildkow,
    It wasn't really directed to Ann's mom. It's a literary tool. The idea is to put the reader (not Ann's mom, maybe Ann--but I'm sure the author realized she'd probably never read it) in the mind set of thinking about the impact of one's actions on others. In other words, considering how one's mother would feel about your attacks. This "letter" was an editorial directed toward the reader's of that particular paper, not to Ann's mom or Ann.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 12 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]269878[/snapback]</div>
    Unitl you [anyone who wants to offer their opinion] read the book and understand the full context of her statements, it is best left for those who have to comment on them.

10. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

The conservatives on this forum frequently make disparaging remarks about Michael Moore. I wonder how many of them have read any of HIS books, or seen any of his films. I am not defending Michael Moore, I am just offering a comparison.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 12 2006, 08:29 AM) [snapback]269882[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the patronizing advice, but I have not commented on Ann's book even once. Based upon the exerpts I've read and her prior public statements I wouldn't waste my time or money on such feces.

This post was specifically directed at answering Wildkow's question on the 'letter to Ann's mom'. If you can see some error I've made in my comments I'd love for you to point them out and I'll readily correct them.

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 12 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]269885[/snapback]</div>
    I actually have...

...and it did nothing but re-inforce what a worthless POS, spin-meister that guy is. It really says a lot about someone if they see Michael Moore as some sort of objective reporter... :lol:

;)

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 12 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]269889[/snapback]</div>
    I was referring to the author of the "open letter" who felt free to make comments based on hearsay - that fact that he raised questions in his "letter" concerning issues raised by AC in her book that he has NOT EVEN READ is humurous. The fact that there are those commenting on the points he raises about a book he NEVER READ and they have NEVER READ is even more so.

I find it amusing at the least if not comical.

Anyhow.....

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Author said:
    I think it's fair to say that his 'letter' is based specifically on that quote. I grant that even that isn't exactly fair as the quote certainly could be taken out of context. But, I think you must admit that it's pretty inflammatory and cold.

As far as I can tell, in my reading of the 'letter' is that the author stayed away from any other comments of the book itself and rather focussed his efforts at rebutting that single quote. I think that's fair enough, your opinion may differ.

Sorry that I thought you were refering to me, it certainly appear that when you quoted me and used the word "you" that that is what you were doing. My mistake for misunderstanding your intent.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 12 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]269902[/snapback]</div>
    Was not directed at you at all - I just find it amazing how people pop up with opinions concerning stuff they have not read or lived or experienced - and then people start building on that -- totally funny in my "opinion". Like building a house on a balsa wood foundation :D

Anyhow, not directed at you at all. Have a good day my friend.

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 12 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]269891[/snapback]</div>
    Read Mr. Urban's editorial again. He is not critiquing Ann Coulter's book; he makes it quite clear that he has not read it and thus cannot offer criticism of it. His opinion is based upon quite public statements made by Ann Coulter. In particular, she has been all over the media with her attacks on the four 9-11 widows who are popularly referred to as the "Jersey Girls"; Coulter refers to them as "The Witches of East Brunswick."

These are direct quotes from Coulter's book:

The four widows were not satisified that the government had done everything possible to protect the U.S. from terrorist attack, given the evidence that there were warning signals that were disregarded, and they wanted answers> as a result, the 9-11 Commission convened (which was critical of both the Bush and Clinton administrations.) They were not seeking publicity or fortune; they wanted resolution. Had I lost a loved one on 9-11, I am sure that I would have felt the same.

Although I have not read her book, and I will not, I have heard her statements on this issue ad nauseum. I heard her interview with Matt Lauer on June 6 (I know that it was June 6 because I was thinking about the 6/6/06 thing) and, despite my initial inclination, I listened to it in its entirety.

Former Rep. Tim Roemer, a conservative Democrat who was a member of the 9-11 commission, called Coulter's "hate-filled attack on the patriotic heroes of 9/12 — the widows of 9/11 — reprehensible and undignified." and urged people not to buy her book. "Americans shouldn't contribute to her profiting from these vicious remarks."

One of the widows, Lorie Van Auken, said "Having my husband burn alive in a building brought me no joy. Watching it unfold on national TV and seeing it repeated endlessly was beyond what I could describe. Telling my children they would never see their father again was not fun. And we had no plans to divorce."

Now if you disagree with the allegations that the government shares in the blame for 9-11 for unpreparedness and for not taking the threat of terrorism more seriously, that is something that we can rationally discuss. Ann Coulter is nothing but a sensationalist, and she will say anything to get on the news and sell books. I happen to think that she has gone far over the line of decency, and I would have to ask her ardent defenders- would you say to a woman whose husband was recently killed in a terrorist attack- "now that your shelf life is dwindling, you'd better hurry up and appear in Playboy." I know that you wouldn't David, but there are a few people here who have said worse things.

17. Mystery Squid

18. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doc Fusco: I wish that I had the gift of presenting my opinions and views like you always do. :D

Mystery Squid: Though I rarely agree with you, I wouldn't dream of blocking your comments. Always thought provoking and worth the time to read. :)

19. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tbstout2 @ Jun 12 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]269910[/snapback]</div>
    Why thanks! I too read a lot of thought provoking stuff I don't agree with, but I always appreciate the different perspectives, not matter how off the wall I think they maybe. There's always something I pick up here and there, always... :)

20. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 12 2006, 05:00 AM) [snapback]269870[/snapback]</div>
    I only know two conservatives who are like her, Coulter and Michael Savage. Their invective crosses the line.

Limbaugh is a pussycat compared to them. Conservative commentators like Michael Medved, Hugh Hewitt, Bill Bennet, etc. are all rational, well rounded folks who have opposing views on their shows (especially Medved and Hewitt, who frequently feature opposing views). Coulter and Savage are like Al Franken; they spew invective because they aren't smart enough to discuss things rationally.