1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Letter to Local Business, Suggesting Charging Station

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by J.R. Fisher, Jan 6, 2013.

1. J.R. Fisher

J.R. Fisher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone contacted a local business that they patronize regularly asking them to install a charging station. Or does anyone has suggestions. I know that Giant Eagle's (grocery store) around the Pittsburgh, PA areas have free charging stations, but 1 hour south in Morgantown, WV they don't have one. So I was thinking of sending a letter to see if anything would happen along with a few other businesses that I go to frequently.
    Thanks,
    JR

JamesBurke likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WV is pushing/subsidizing EV quite aggressively so I would expect better response in WV.
    Surprised to hear you mention Giant Eagle in Pgh, will have to look next time Rt88 is the one we frequent.

3. J.R. Fisher

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most people don't even know that the State Government is pushing alternative fuel so much. Everyone thinks I am crazy for buying Plug-In vehicle until I tell them about the State Tax Credit. Then they are like "Really"

4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ChargePoint was offering free stations, hardware, awhile back to small businesses as part of a DOE program. I took the offer to several businesses as a starting point for the discussion and got two initiated. I targeted cinemas and gyms, places where I might spend more than an hour parked and, selfishly, at the far end of my EV range.

Walmart and Sams Club seem to be installing charging stations, but they tend to be in isolated locations that I don't spend too much time at.

I also lobbied the public school board to install 120V outlets in parking lots to encourage student and teacher adoption of EVs, selfishly knowing I could use them during evening sporting events as well.

Rather than targeting an individual business, you might get more traction targeting several businesses within walking distance of each other to sponsor a charging station at a common spot like a coffee bar.

5. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I sent an email to the general manager of a local mall. They are the only mall out of 4 in the area without a charging station. I let them know that EV drivers plan their shopping at locations with charging stations and this might help lure shoppers to their mall.

I'll post an update when I receive a reply.

6. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A few months back I sent an email to Costco, asking if they had any plans for charge stations. They replied that they'd had a trial program in CA and it was a "flop"....my word, not theirs. Their words were something like "not utilized enough to continue."

7. J.R. Fisher

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It should not matter how much it used as long as it is being used. I know that a business having a charging station in my area will probably get my business over someone who does not have one.

8. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree. It didn't make sense to me that they'd already expended the money to build it then shut it down.

9. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For an individual business it is critical that the charging station gets used because it takes away a parking spot from other vehicles/customers, especially if it is in a premium location like next to the entrance. I encourage businesses to install the station in unused areas, safe, but unused.

I will often use a station, even if I don't need to, just to increase utilization, especially if there are two parking spots. I leave a sign on my dash giving permission to unplug my vehicle if someone else needs the charging station, along with a google voice number if they need me to move my vehicle.

What business groups should do is collaborate on these stations and put a business directory at the station, like you would find when you walk into a shopping mall. Pretty soon EV drivers will start combining their casual shopping into their charging spots.

10. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Costco is an interesting example. They installed the old style chargers but the tire shops used to park cars inthe spots so when EV drivers showed up the spots appeared to be ICEd. Those in the know new to ask the tire shop to move the cars but most just got frustrated and left. Then when they had the opportunity to upgrade to J1772 they declined the free chargers and pulled the old style chargers out.

sdtundra likes this.
  11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Which states are we talking about here?
    The Costco near my parents' house in Torrance has two charge point units. Problem is, they haven't been initialized properly AND the spots are completely unmarked, making them ripe targets for ICEing.

sdtundra likes this.
  12. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Costco I used to go to as a kid/teen had 2 of the Magne Chargers in front of the tire shop but when I went back on Friday they were gone.

13. Zimmy 1

Zimmy 1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have sent two e mails to Simon Shopping Malls, big shopping malls here on LI NY. They have not replied at all. JFK airport has charging stations.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I had a BEV or PHEV, it wouldn't make almost no difference to me whether or not I'd patronize them, if I had to pay a rate that was much higher than charging at home.

If it were free, I might be somewhat more likely to patronize.

I seriously doubt that many business from a cost (installation and for electricity) and maintenance point of view (esp. if copper thieves steal the cables to repair vandalized stations) could justify a supposed increase in business from people w/your preference.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    49 cents per kWh is what they charge at the Mall Of America, now. It was originally $3 per hour.

That's quite reasonable, a very handy when you want a nice parking spot in a busy ramp.

Free isn't a good business model. There's nothing wrong with modest fee for recharging.

16. J.R. Fisher

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, I would not want to pay $3 to charge my vehicle when it only goes 12 miles on that charge. But what i am saying if they charge for the actual ele. used i know residential ele in my area is .10c per Kwh. I would very willing to pay that. or of course make it free.

If there were a Wendy's with no charge station and a Chic-Fil-a with at station with a resonable fee I am going there.

I guess a good example is in my area there are 2 Toyota dealers. University Motors and Dan Cava. I have always had great luck and prefer Dan Cava. But University Toyota has EV Parking and Free Charging. Guess where I am going to get my PIP serviced at.

Thanks,
    JR

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The flat rate subscription model for charging stations seems to be working very well in Austin and San Antonio. I pay for 6 months of unlimited charging. It is a nice balance of convenience and economy. I plug in when I can and I tend to shop and do business near charging stations.

18. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So there are two electronics stores nearby...one has free charging the other does not. What better way to attract relatively high income tech-orientated folks than to have free charging...and it takes a couple of hours to charge so the customers will be inclined to look around a lot rather than be in a hurry to leave?

Businesses give away coupons for $1 off, two for 1. At this time of year many restaurants give away $5 gift cards when you buy a $25 gift card. They are saying give a $25 card to a friend and if you come back we'll give you $5. The cost to buy and install a charging station is thousands of dollars. The cost to operate it is a couple of dollars per day...much much less than all the other marketing that businesses do.

Mike

19. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Khols have free charging at some of their stores. They are expanding the program as they found that people using the chargers spent 30 minutes longer and about $50 more in their stores than the average person. Personally I now do most of my business at places that provide either free or reasonably priced charging.

lensovet and John Hatchett like this.
  20. Zimmy 1

Zimmy 1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes Yes Yes. Thats it. Keep customers in your store, mall etc. The cost of free charging is nothing compared to flyers and mailers etc that attempt to do the same thing. If I have to stay in the Mall 3 hours while my car is charging I stay.