1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

letter to Toyota re: MFD failures

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another letter (much like Evan Fusco's) from Priuschat to Toyota regarding the design flaw in the 2004-05 MFD unit. Toyota may be monitoring Priuschat; if not, they should.
    My unit hasn't failed yet, but I checked with my dealership about what to do if and when it does. I was assured that my dealership has seen the problem and is mediating with Toyota; don't know if that means covering the whole cost, or negotiating some compromise. My service guy suggested writing a pre-emptive letter to Toyota and sending a copy to my dealer. I think Priuschat is a good place to find out how widespread the problem is.

Dear Toyota:

I’m an active member, of Priuschat.com, an international forum of Prius owners. There is growing concern among our membership regarding premature failure of the MFD on the 2004-2005 model year Prius. A number of our members have been hit with huge replacement costs when their MFD’s failed shortly after the expiration of the 3/36 warranty. It is my belief that Toyota is aware of this problem, and has informed its dealerships of the problem in TSB EL002-05.

This problem arises from a known design flaw in the MFD and is not mileage related, nor would it arise from normal use of the car. Those of us who purchased 2004 model year Prii were voting for Toyota’s amazing HSD technology and were willing to put themselves at some risk in order to support this necessary technological advance.

I have read “The Prius that Changed the Worldâ€, a brief history of the development of the Prius and the hybrid technology that powers it. I was impressed by the thoroughness of the engineering and the commitment to quality demonstrated by those who designed this car. I have been equally impressed by the actual Prius I now drive, considering it the most amazing car I have ever owned.

That said, it is with some anxiety that I deal with the possible failure of the MFD in my car, which has performed well up to this point (@38,000 miles). This same anxiety no doubt hangs over other 2004-2005 Prius owners who are aware of the potential for failure and the enormous expense of a retail-purchased replacement.

To reassure those of us who have invested in the Prius, and to uphold Toyota’s deserved reputation for both quality and customer service, I think Toyota Motor Sales USA should offer to replace failed MFD units whenever they fail so that owners have the confidence that they will be protected from the cost of replacement for the normal life of the car. If my previous experience with Toyota automobiles is any guide, I expect to get 200,000 miles from my Prius.

I would be very interested in knowing if Toyota Motor Sales USA has any plans to deal with this problem, either on a case by case scenario, or with some sort of notification to owners and dealers.

Sincerely,

Bob Allen
    Seattle, WA

cc: Toyota of Lake City

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nicely worded Bob..please keep us abreast should you receive a reply.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, I'd make sure it goes not just to the circular file that is the consumer relations office, but send a registered copy to the CEO...make-em sign for it an send a return receipt...there are probably others worth forwarding a copy to as well, but it sure never hurts to reach for the top, if you get their attention you can be certain that stuff will happen down the line....

The job of the bottom of the heap is to keep the stuff from reaching the top of the heap...if you get your stuff to the top it'll roll all the way down to the bottom.

4. paul price

paul price New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    just a though, i dont know that i would put, "i plan on driving my prius to 200,000 miles", for the fact that toyota (or any car company) wants to sell cars.

i might put something along the lines that i plan on buying many more toyotas in the years to come .....

just a thought, but a great letter either way!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds good. Looking forward to hearing back from you regarding the reply you've received from Toyota.