1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Letting the Prius C Sit for extended periods?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by raddtracey, Oct 5, 2012.

1. raddtracey

raddtracey New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi -- I am new to prius. I am car shopping (don't own one yet) and am deciding between the Prius C and a gasoline car like the Scion xD.

My lifestyle is such that sometimes I go travel overseas for work for months at a time. Sometimes one month, sometimes three months, sometimes seven or eight months.

Obviously this is not ideal, but I have heard of many people that have left their gasoline vehicles in storage (w/traditional battery disconnected) and come back and their vehicles are fine.

So question -- is storing a Prius any different? Any better? Any worse?

Many thanks.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You do not want a vehicle powered via a High Voltage battery.

Toyota warns against storing a Prius over 3 months without starting the car for 30 minutes.
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47784U/pdf/sec_01-01.pdf
    (page 4 of the PDF, page 33 of the Prius v manual)

3. raddtracey

raddtracey New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that.

Hm, I wonder if that means that the Toyota Dealership can readily just recharge it? If I had to tow it to the dealer to recharge I would not mind at all, it's a small price to pay. I just want to make sure that I would not be doing irreparable harm to the battery...? Hm.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. ageless

ageless New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ensure you dont have ethanol fuel or add a fuel addidtive for ethanol or your fuel system will be SHOT!!!

6. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As stated previously, a hybrid vehicle should not be considered for purchase if it will sit around for months without use. Yes, you could tow it to a dealer and have them recharge the HV battery pack assuming they had a charger. The problem is that the battery pack life will be shortened.

7. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have left our Prius for five months with absolutely no problem with the high voltage battery. The 12-volt batter was left on a battery maintainer and stabilizer was added to the fuel. The charge indicator on the high voltage battery didn't even drop one bar over the five months. Perhaps the storage temperature has something to do with the rate of discharge. The Prius was stored inside with temps between 42 and 75 degrees F.