1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leviton 240V Charger install video

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 9G-man, Nov 20, 2011.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it says a thousand bucks for the parts. i thought it was $999. installed?

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Toyota one is $999 "installed"
    But I guarantee installed means hung on the wall and plugged into an existing socket.
    There is no way that installation will include running a 240v circuit and wall socket.
    That will have to be taken care of separately.

4. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep

When I asked about that on the phone with Leviton, the guy on the other end got quiet. Then he said: "We have several installation packages which the installer will select from after looking at your situation".

This is a case where saving a "buck" only makes sense if you are an electrician or very close to that. Safety is important.

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm sure it will be other more economic options in the very near future.
    In a little research I made, I just found a USA company manufacturing the EVSE electronic control interface for the EV DIY market.
    modular EV power, LLC
    This is one way to take control of your EV connections expenses

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't peef making these things for the leaf?

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. He's upgrading the 120 volt Nissan Leaf EVSEs to work at either 120 or 240 volts. See EVSE Upgrade - Products.

8. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    "PeeF" here, "Ingineer" on MNL, or just "Phil" if you know him, will certainly be evaluating the EVSE that Toyota ships with the PiP, if it can be safely upgraded to function at 240V, I'm sure he 'll let the forums (Priuschat and MNL) know about it, he modifies the Nissan supplied Panasonic unit for the Leaf for under $300, and it functions at 120 or 240 after he's done. If Toyota also uses a similar design unit from Panasonic, chances are good it can be modified. Checkout his website EVSE Upgrade - Products

BTW, Home Depot now sells quite a variety of EVSE's as well, I have the Schnieder myself.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...NT_ID&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it really annoying from an electronic engineer point of view that these devices are called "Chargers". They are not "Chargers" . The real chargers are onboard the vehicle.

All these powercube/box devices are are safety switches that pass through AC mains to the vehicle. Basically a GFCI power relay combo switched open or closed on/off by a voltage level and continuity sensor on the control wire coming back from the vehicle. Max current is set by the safety switch device or mains current rating. This value is signaled to the vehicle by a pulse width modulated 1 kilohertz squarewave on the control wire. This squarewave is amplitude/voltage modulated to provide the switch signal mention above.

Yes I have a copy of the SAE Final standard.

No switching power supply battery charger functions. No vehicle state of charge functions. Just a "hey we are properly connected OK to close the switch" function.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. I've mentioned this a bunch of times in my replies at http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/. On MNL they have an EVSE - Charging Equipment subarea with the description "All the discussion about the EV supply equipment (incorrectly referred to as charger by some) go here."

Since you mention that square wave, that's the pilot signal that I've seen referred to on MNL, right?