1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus ES300 Horns on 07 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by MGM, Mar 18, 2007.

1. MGM

MGM New Member

Yesterday I installed some Lexus ES300 horns that I got on eBay for $40 including shipping and handling. I wanted a more authoratative sound to ward off SUV's and other cell-phone using drivers who don't pay attention when they're merging into me. I followed directions that I got in other threads on this forum.

[attachmentid=6939]

The bottom two horns are the OEM Prius horns. Small vibrating horns that emit an annoying tinny toy car sound. No one pays attention to them when you honk.

The top two horns are the ES300 horns, one for the high tone and one for the low tone. Together they make a harmonious, authoritative honk that actually sounds like they come from a real car. Installation took about 30 minutes including undoing and reattaching all the fasteners on the front of the car. The Lexus horns just plugged right into the Toyota electrical terminals. Truly plug and play.

Ironically, one hour after installing the horns I put them to good use. I was driving in the left lane a two lane road when a car pulled out of a driveway in front of me. Immediately upon turning into the right lane, it proceeded to merge directly into the left lane and into my new Prius. The driver was talking on her cell phone and didn't bother looking to see if there were any cars -in this case, me- in the left lane. So I honked long and hard as I slammed on the brakes to avoid crashing into her. She paused momentarily then continued to cut me off. If I had used the original OEM Prius horns, I'm sure that she would not have paused. The momentary pause likely prevented an accident.

Incidents like this happen regularly on my commute to and from work. Usually it's SUV drivers that either don't see me or think they own the road and merge right into me. For me, louder more authoratative horns are a safety device as much as seat belts and airbags.

Attached Files:

2. itsme

itsme New Member

Speaking of merging I dont think anyone knows what that means anymore or ever heard of it in driving school.

When on a freeway the guy coming on has to slow down or speed up to get on the highway or to "MERGE " but as you say they do not even look, they expect you to get out of THEIR way.

I hope a lot of those drivers get retrained in the proper merge technique.

I have seen cops do this and once I held up a sign " C& I" careless and imprudent he understood and said sorry.

3. MGM

MGM New Member

My friend drove a large dump truck one summer for work during college. He said that he had no problem merging and that everyone cleared out of his way when he signaled to change lanes. He said it was comical how quickly other drivers yielded to him, giving him a wide berth. It's funny how when you're driving a big hulking truck, other drivers respect you (since you could crush them). But when you drive a small car like a Prius, they ignore you or treat you like road kill.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(regenme @ Mar 18 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]407981[/snapback]</div>
    Did you pre-make a sign with the text "C&I"? Use sign language (the real kind)?

5. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Doesn't the ES300 have the same horn as the (previous generation) Camry? I wonder if I could pick up something similar from a local junkyard.

6. MGM

MGM New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allargon @ Mar 19 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]408453[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know, but I bet that you could pick up old Toyota/Lexus horns at a junkyard. I got mine on eBay. I just didn't want to have to deal with crimping or cutting wires, especially in such tight spaces where the horns are located. The Lexus horns were simple plug and play. I imagine that the Camry horns would be the same.

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I considered replacing the horns in my Prius but then thought about and decided to just leave the stock ones. I just take evasive action to avoid the idiot. The last thing I want is some idiot whom I honk at to decide to chase, shoot, ram me for honking. People are stupid and the less you do to provoke them, the better. I just go around them or whatever else is called for to avoid them and usually they are never aware of the problem. Let someone else honk and incur their wrath.

8. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green Machine @ Mar 18 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]407974[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to laugh, but you seem to have personal issues with your "Small" thingy... You don't seem to have the confidence to drive a Prius... I assure you that your thingy is average in size... you don't need to feel inferior.

Maybe counseling would help.

:D (sorry for being a smart nice person... but just couldn't help it, given the "tone" of your post.... )

9. MGM

MGM New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 20 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]408932[/snapback]</div>
    Although it may appear that there are some Freudian undercurrents to my horn post, trust me. I am perfectly pleased with my size in all dimensions. As are the women in my life. :lol:

Wanting a louder horn is simply practical matter, having been hit and nearly run off the road by other drivers who find my cars to be invisible.

10. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can't imagine any man driving a Prius (especially Seaside Pearl) overcompensating for a lack thereof. Besides, that wimpy horn gets ignored. A significant horn is definitely better to get people's attention. Of course, that's just IMHO.

11. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allargon @ Mar 21 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]409803[/snapback]</div>
    Did you just say that it is not possible for a man who owns a Prius to over compensate for what he lacks? :D :D

I am sure that's not what you meant!!

12. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Besides "Mean Green Machine" changing his Prius horns with a set from a Lexus ES300, has anyone else changed their Prius horns?

I'd like to change mine too.

13. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Anyone else install some ES300 horns? I'm interested in doing this swap and was wondering what part numbers I should be looking for.