1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus GS 450Hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Speedracer, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oooooooooh!!!!

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Wooooo - baby!

Interesting -- does it have an MFD? Power On button?

Hmm, hmmm, hmmmmm!

(But I'm happy with my Prius. :) )

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From Lexus pressroom...

A completely new Lexus Hybrid powertrain was created to power the new 450h. The system combines a 3.5-liter V6 engine with a high-output, permanent magnet electric motor—all driving the rear wheels. Combined power output will be well in excess of 300 horsepower, with zero-to-60 acceleration in less than six seconds.

The result is a level of acceleration performance similar to a V-8 engine, with combined fuel economy in the high twenties, a level more typical of a 2.0-liter four-cylinder compact sedan, along with one of the best EPA emissions ratings in the industry.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/...ml?id=20050323d

Ken@Japan

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oo. more info.. more info!

hmm... i think 30+ mpg would make the car really awesome. It is getting the typical 30% increase about.. but with a lot more horsepower... the overall number is decreased. hmmm....

even better... since this car uses the HSD... no gears!... imagine how smooth that 0-60 will be... hmm.. 400h.. or the new GS.... hard decision... i may have a new car for my parents. lol

7. Prolene

Prolene New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784\";p=\"75263)</div>
    Goodness gracious, wow!

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I swear, all these new Toyota hybrids need an HSD emblem :) (or two). They're waaay to discrete. The Civic Hybrid and RX400h are barely at the level of distinction. With this, I'm gonna have a hard time telling the difference :p

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like it!!! With the rear drive platform now being put into production, this should open the door for the trucks.

11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    But what about the Sienna van? I see more of a market for it than a 300 HP luxury sedan. And I can definitely see this in a Tundra/Tacoma. How many big sedans are being sold versus more practical vans and towing/hauling trucks? Just curious. Plus, if 'normal' people (ie, those of us with moderate income, but more practical needs wtihout 300 ponies) get out-priced by hybrids, how does that help the cause? Just wondering, let's hear some opinions (like that's hard to suppress here!)

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"75260)</div>
    Yea Book, haven't you seen all the non-hybrid GS commercials on TV? They're really focusing on the Power button...looks almost exactly like the one in the Prius. I'm pretty sure it's got SKS and I'm sure it has an MFD/NAV.

This will be a revolutionary car as hybrids go. Very sweet....I'm gonna have to test drive that thing just to feel the shiftless 0-60 in 6 seconds...that's gotta be a sweet feeling.

13. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I hate to rain on anyone's parade ... but I will anyway.

I'm very disappointed that Toyota is choosing to apply its technology, not towards reducing consumption, but rather towards encouraging unnecessary consumption. No one really needs this much horsepower in a passenger car.

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lew, you need to look beyond Prius.

First, not everyone wants a Prius. I know that there are plenty of times when I would love to have that raw power just to play with. The Mach 1 Mustang that I played with on the used car side of the stealership when my car was in for its 37,500 mile service was a blast. Such a car is not about needs - it's about enjoying the fruits of one's labor.

However, the fact that I put WAY too many miles a year on a vehicle, keeps me in "sensible" transportation. If adding a performance factor to the lineup without the fuel penalty sells more hybrids, then I'm all for it. Put the hybrid powertrain next to a V8 model of similar power, and the hybrid will trounce it on fuel economy.

Not only that, but the thought of a hybrid truck that can give me superb fuel mileage running empty, and also give me the power to tow heavy loads is also wetting my appetite. It's about the only thing I'll even consider giving up my big ol' diesel truck for. This car is the first release of a rear drive design of the HSD. With this release, that hybrid truck is now possible.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    True, no one needs it, but that's part of what the essence of a luxary sports sedan is. As ashamed as I am to admit this, I think the best driving car I've ever driven was a 2004 Nissan Maxima last year when I had one as a rental while my car was being repaired. It was the top-end version and it had way too much power for me, but it rode wonderfully. Well appointed, great sound system, lots of tire-screaming power.

When you spend $50k+ on a sedan you expect certain things, and what Toyota is doing is strategically placing themselves in a position to further introduce HSD to the mainstream market and show that "See, hybrids can kick nice person, too." I think their strategy is excellent and I applaud them.

16. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman\";p=\"75469)</div>
    If that's the way you want to conduct the discussion, I'd say that you need to look beyond your desire to drive an unnecessarily overpowered passenger car. And, more generally, you need to look beyond your own individual desires, and consider what's best for the community at large.

I have no problem with a hybrid truck. People do need trucks.

I have no problem with luxury cars, either.

But there is no need for a passenger car with 350 horsepower. It's just a waste of scarce resources.

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"75405)</div>
    A co-worker who buys a new car (usually a sports car) about once a year just traded in his 11-month old Acura for a new Prius. (I know very little about sports cars -- not really interested.)

I expected to hear him say a lot of things about the Prius, but not the first thing he told me this morning: "Great acceleration!"

Apparently the torque out of the gate really impressed him; said it felt much speedier than his Acura.

Man, the Prius: a Win-win-win-win-win... situation.

18. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    See, I'm gonna concur with Lewlasher. I know the point of having 300+ ponies in a car. Fun. Question is, when will we say too much is too much? Too late is the answer. Peak oil, anyone? Now is the time to make sensible change. It's right here in Prius and Prius-like frugalness. But when u have $$$, there seems to be no end to the wastefulness. The fruits of your labor could also be used less selfishly by helping out the other less fortunate people who have to live with the decisions of the wasteful. Does that make sense? Human nature just doesn't seem wired that way.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "We" never say when too much is too much...that is not "Our" place.

Although you're right about scarce resources and unnecessary power and more speed and all that...you are right!!....it doesn't matter that you're right.

We're free individuals and in the US of A we won't be dictated to as to what we can drive and can't or our reasons for making those choices. The best you can do is campaign and set and example.

20. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"75508)</div>
    Yes, of course: it's a free country. Freedom means that not everything that is good is mandated and that not everything that is foolish is forbidden.

In my opinion, for Toyota to apply its hybrid technology to produce a 350-horsepower passenger sedan is foolish.