1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus GS Hybrid receives better EPA mpg than Lexus's own tests

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

GS450h is MORE powerful, accelerates FASTER, and gets BETTER mpg than the regular GS350. People with the HYBRID version will have bragging rights over the people with the ICE version.

Big Lexus GS hybrid sedan gets a 35% fuel-economy boost

[​IMG]

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now all I need is a wallet transplant and I'll have one in my driveway asap!

3. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just another GAS HOG cashing in on the hybrid theme.

This will likely go the same way as the LS600h.

Hybrids should be about FE, not an attractant to deep pocket buyers with the "boy-racer" mentality.

4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Din't the same thing happen with the Prius v - I thought that they were originally touting something like 38/40 and wound up getting 38/42 with the EPA - I think I remember seeing a quote from a Toyota rep stating that they were pleasantly surprised with the higher MPG rating.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    GS450h (with eCVT) outclasses M35h (7-speed auto) in both city and highway MPG.

1 person likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I suppose one should do away with the SUV hybrids too? Caddy? Escape? Toyota Hihy? Lexus RX? Haven't you heard? Increase an otherwise 18mpg regulr ICE vehicle to a 30mpg hybrid (in the case of Toyota's SUV hybrids) means you save MORE gas, than if you raise a 40mpg mileage champ to a 50mpg hybrid. Of course you have to discount the concept of simply going from an 18mpg vehicle to the 50mpg champ.

The thing is, some people may want or need more room than a standard car ... just like some people would want/need to wear different clothing. Would you want the whole world to dress like Mao Zedong, in order to have clothing be less costly?

;)

[​IMG]

But I don't get how EPA can be higher than what Lexus says it is. Doesen't the EPA get their data from the different manufacturers? I thought the manufacturers run tests according to what the EPA says to do ... but the the manufacturers run the actual performance tests. No?

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lies?

EPA numbers are higher than the numbers Lexus estimated before they tested it. EPA numbers are from Lexus after they tested the production version of the car. The statement quoted is misleading.

8. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "...do away with SUV hybrids..."

No, just don't overpower them to the point of finding it an asset to quote 0-60 times.

Do away with the RX450h...?

Absolutely.

Make a Lexus version of the Venza with that new 187HP I4 adapted to DFI (200HP) and Atkinson (166HP). Use the cuurent Venza F/awd setup.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fantastic news! The 2mpg better than the M35h number is crucial because if it doesn't perform better, then people may be willing to take a 2mpg hit for a better driving car (and really 2mpg is doable in real life). Also, I wonder if the "two electric motors, one for each wheel" is a journalistic boo-boo and just one that didn't do his homework. The GS450h always had 2 elec. motors just like the Prius.

Lastly, what are the engine/hybrid powertrain specs? Atkinson cycle 3.5 litre?

I disagree. If this is what it takes to get people into hybrids, then I'm all for it. It works well in Europe since they have an undying need for every car to be able to do laps around a circuit.

Again, disagree. The RX450h is Lexus' best selling hybrid and for good reason. It's well priced (smack in the middle of its lineup of vehicles) in a popular bodystyle. Imagine if all those buyers bought X5s, Q7s, M-Classes and Grand Cherokees instead.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, on all counts. The battery was also repackaged to give more trunk space.
    2013 Lexus GS450h Hybrid - Auto Shows - Car and Driver

CAR and DRIVER Blog » 2013 Lexus GS450h Returns 34 MPG Highway, GS350 Up to 28 MPG

The luxo hybrids Lexus GS - 29/34, Infiniti M 27/32, BMW 5 23/34. These are all much higher than their V8 brethren that used to be the desirable cars in the segment. They all have better acceleration than my previous lexus GS V8.

I agree with all these points.

2 people like this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I drive 30,000 miles a year, double the expected average of 15,000. (so if you are average, divide my numbers by 2)

30,000 / 29 MPG = 1034.5 Gallons * $3.20 = $3310
    30,000 / 19 MPG = 1579 Gallons * $3.20 = $5053

So the 'fuel hog' hybrid is saving 544.5 gallons a year, enough to drive another 15,790 miles

12. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What I like about all of these powerful luxury hybrids is that it shows the general public that hybrids can be cool (to them). Instead of hearing members of the general public make blanket statements that "hybrids are lame," they might dislike certain hybrids but at least they won't be able to make that blanket statement anymore. This will help increase the acceptance of "hybrids" amongst the general population. I'm all for it. And, ESPECIALLY if these powerful hybrids become MORE prestigious than their conventional ICE counterparts. If the wealthy people, sports stars, musicians (think: music videos with chrome wheels), and hollywood stars are driving hybrids because they are the flagship of the luxury product lines, then it will increase the desire of many people in the general population to want a hybrid. That's step #1 - create demand for hybrids.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

Mmm... so Toyota has a 1.8, 2.5 and 3.5 HSD setups. They're pretty well covered and they're all now up-to-date (and a partially refurbished 1.5 HSD powertrain). Time to start spread the costs over more models (Venza, RAV4, Sienna and ES). Did Toyota mention what's going under the Yaris Hybrid's hood? Is it the 1.5 that we'll see on the Prius c? I can't remember.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not even sure there is a yaris hybrid, it may be the aqua/prius c variant. Do we know? The 3.5L DI did get a through reworking to run in atkinson cycle on this rev as did the 2.5 and there was much improved fuel economy. Toyota can get even more efficient, but more expensive, with a miller cycle engine. There was speculation on this for a more powerfull lexus ct. Converting the camry hybrid to an ES seems natural. I'm not sure of any plans for the venza, rav4, or sienna. These may wait for lithium.

15. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "...3.5L DI did get a through reworking..."

No, an Atkinson engine using DI should have a base/native compression ratio on the order of at least 15:1. DFI engines are now running CRs as high as 14:1, 12:1 being VERY common. With non DFI Atkinson the CR "standard" seems to be 13:1.

On anything but 4 cylinders or multiples thereof the late valve closing Atkinson cycle technique results in rather serious intake turbulance/backflow. So maybe they're now "simulating" the Atkinson cycle via simply not opening the throttle plate completely. Some result as late intake valve closing, only partial cylinder filling with the gas pedal floored.

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol west. I think your beef is with toyota, as you have said before their DI leads the world, but you can see other makes do have much higher compression di engines. Look at the design and come to reality. It is a very good engine, but uses DI and port injection with a otto compression of 10.5:1. Toyota did a great job making this engine aktinson improving fuel economy 35% over the last generation of gs hybrid with this and other improvements. Estimated 0-60 only increased 0.1 seconds from 5.5 to 5.6 seconds. To put this in perspective my V8 powered GS400 had a 0-60 of 5.9 seconds and much worse fuel economy.

18. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    For 2011 both the GS350 and the GS450h have a CR of 11.8:1, reasonable with DFI. With the Atkinson cycle engine using the delayed into valve closing technique the "standard" base/native CR is 13:1.

I'm betting the 2013 Atkinson/DFI engine is simply detuned via intake restriction with the battery/electrics making up the difference.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek:

The Yaris Hybrid is for Europe. I presume they're not getting the Prius c.

Hmm, but woiuld that require premium fuel? That's one reason why Mazda "detuned" their SkyActiv engine for NA on the Mazda3. The 15:1 or 14:1 ratio overseas would require 91 octane to run but they didn't want that in North America (after seeing how people complain about putting in 91 octane in the smart fortwo and Volt even though both are fuel efficient vehicles) so they detuned it to 12:1.

Could that be the reason why Toyota stuck with 13:1 on the Atkinson?

1 person likes this.
  20. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes tideland, I was quoting the motor trend article for regular gasoline version of the engine. This is the engine that toyota was tuning, not a premium fuel Atkinson variant. It is 10.5, and compression would be higher if it was more like the skyactiv design, but this does not mean it would be more efficient.

IIRC mazda skyactiv is 14:1 premium, 13:1 regular gasoline. It is multi-mode which means it can use its electronically controlled intake valves to run in a pseudo atkinson or otto mode with this expansion ratio.

I leave it to west to build his engine and find out if it is more efficient. And no, the expansion stroke is 13:1 so it is not a simple matter of using the standard engine (which version?), and restricting intake.

1 person likes this.