1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus GSh

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wooski, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like Lexus is to launch the next Generation GS saloon at Pebble Beach Concours D'elegance on Sunday August 21st. In the UK the current GS 450h has been the only version of the GS sold for at least a few years now, the GS300 and GS460 (and LS460) were all dropped in favour of the low CO2 hybrids. Reports say that Lexus will show the hybrid version at Pebble Beach.

There are lots of rumours about this car. Certainly 1 UK dealer I spoke too wanted a bigger trunk/boot as first requirement with more rear room next. By the looks of the concept (which is apparently very close to the production version) they will have achieved this. One wonders where the battery will end up (which is the reason the current GS450h has such a small trunk) given that the Euro Prius v will have a Li-on battery between the front seats.

Other speculation is around a low CO2 version for the European market. My dealer suggested CO2 would be below 120g/km which would match the best diesels in this sector. These are the top sellers in this market by far so will Lexus take the bait? Perhaps a revamped 2.5 V6 from the IS250 with hybrid drive for a GS250h or GS300h?

All will be revealed soon.

2. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Drop the GSh engine in the LS, LS450h, and have a real WINNER..!!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no reason to see that they'll continue with the 3.5 litre V6 GS450h but it would be nice if they had a lower powered, more fuel efficient version. If they wanted to save cost, they would drop the 2.5 litre I4 HSD system that will most likely power the next Camry Hybrid into the GS but it depends how heavy the GS will be and whether it can be adapted to RWD.

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So dark it's brown. Lexus is named the brownest hybrid by CNet
    Top 5 brownest hybrids | Top 5 - CNET Lexus need to re-engineer a whole new hybrid engine that can compete with the MKZ. It has to break the 41mpg freeway mileage and still able to mange 0-60 in less than 8 seconds.

5. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I've heard/seen it will get 10% better MPG but still be a performer. They really have invested in the drive and interior quality. GSh will get some sport items stock. The trunk is also substantially larger. Industry biggest 12" screen

White is the base model, red is the F-sport model. Notice the differences :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The interior looked like something BMW would do. Are they trying to copy BMW?

7. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its clearly German influenced but it also is b/c the new Lexus vehicles have a lower driving position and need more horizontal dashes compared to the taller ones.

8. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was thinking the same thing, right down to a decent copy of the iDrive knob. I thought it was an actual picture of a BMW interior until I took a closer look. Nonetheless, it is very sharp looking and attractive. The 12" screen is monstrous!

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except it's not a knob, it's a giant mouse-like controller.

10. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I see the Lexus "mouse" controller... but if you look right behind the shifer (towards the center arm rest), there appears to be an iDrive/Audi MMI style rotary controller... Whether it's functional or used as a decoy, I'm not sure.

11. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suspected that the "iDrive" looking rotary knob was to control the "drive" setting: comfort, normal, sport... Guess I was pretty close. Here's a good article about the upcoming GS:
    2012 Lexus GS

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still prefer the IS more...

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good eye! I didn't see that.

Looks like you answered your own question. Yeah it looked like the knob from the CT200h.. except with Sport +.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yea... of course in it is LDS - but keep in mind that in GS, it alters many things, including active shocks, steering wheel ratio, and RWS... so it is a lot more advanced.

it is really bad to see that reviewers who reviewed the car on autoblog (very positive!), made such huge mistake.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So the knob is only available on cars with LDS or is the knob standard and only Sport + is available on models with LDS.

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think LDS is on all cars, but Sport+ is only on RWS cars (rear wheel steering), which also have variable ratio steering rack.

Standard LDS is a lot like on Prius and CTh, basically either slower or faster responses to the accelerator. They actually said you can save 6% fuel with eco.

LDS with Sport+ is more advanced because they have active shocks, active steering and active rear wheels :)

17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cars always had rotary knobs for radios on the dash and consoles,etc... Audi, BMW did not invent the wheel when the idrive/MMI came out with rotary knobs.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You must be a prophet - someone just emailed me a scaned page from this month's R & T (or was it C & D) magazine has an article on 'changes' ... and the article says Lexus has discontinued the GS 450h.

19. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    True, but most rotary knobs used for radio/climate control have been on the actual vertical dash surface. BMW/Audi started the trend of using a larger rotary style knob for multi function and mounting it on the horizontal center console. That was my point.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... but there will be a GSh. It's just a matter of displacement. Don't bow down to me just yet.