1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by barbaram, Oct 6, 2007.

1. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a ride finally in my frends Lexus SUV hybrid the other day. while the mileage at 26 is not that impressive to us prius owners, some of the features were really cool... like the steering wheel retracting automatically, and the mirrors tilting when the care is in reverse... :D

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The RXh is very powerful! But I miss SKS/push button start and the leaf cars (they have yellow diamonds like the old Prius)

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 8 2007, 02:44 AM) [snapback]522644[/snapback]</div>
    I too am P/O'd that our 400h has no smart fob. Sheez!
    A mechanical key? 75 year old technology? Though you pay a $10K premium? Sheez! It sure costs a lot just to have a chrome 'L' shape on the hood. And that's why I suggested to my wife that she should have gotten the hi hy.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Oct 8 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]522692[/snapback]</div>
    That chrome L has been replaced by a stylized L with a blue "glow" design (like the LSh) for 2008.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 8 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]522761[/snapback]</div>
    ho boy . . . a blue glow. NO steering wheel controls for the MFD, nor for the NAV, and ... no SKS ... and no distinctive low drag coefficient design for the body to separate it from the hum drum usual SUV ... but a blue glow. Gotta love it. You'd think they'd at least offer it up in that way cool ox blood metalic red color available to other Lexus' .. but noooooo.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Oct 9 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]523209[/snapback]</div>
    Well blue is the new green at Lexus.. all the hybrid badging has blue in it.

Well there's Brandywine Mica (Copper Brown Mica in Canada)

Edit: We also get Matador Red for the RXh. It's not available on the regular RX.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If they redesigned all the bodies offering their cars in a hybrid powertrain wouldn't be possible.

As for the controls, almost no cars have the amount of controls on the steering wheel the Prius does. They're overkill.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Oct 9 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]523304[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, even the new LS has fewer buttons on the steering wheel (granted they are scattered all over the dashboard and centre console instead of the wheel).

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its just not something most carbuyers are looking for.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Oct 9 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]523438[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't that the same excuse GM gave as to why they didn't even make hybrids at all?
    I don't know ... sales seem to be pretty decent for the Prius ... the car that's so world renouwned for buttons.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Oct 9 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]523304[/snapback]</div>
    Not ALL the bodies, just the SUV ... after all, that's the one w/ the worst drag coefficiency.

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Oct 10 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]523658[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure they are, but sales of Lexus models, hybrid and not hybrid are also pretty decent without the buttons, as are sales of many many other automobile models from many manufacturers without buttons for every function on the steering wheel. If controlling everything from the wheel were really important to buyers, focus groups would have shown that to manufacturers. The Prius isn't the first car to have all these functions controlled on the wheel, Pontiacs in the 90s used to be that way among others. Why would they have stopped doing that if buyers cared?

Personally I like radio controls on the steering wheel, phone controls, voice controls, but I don't see the point for HVAC or nav controls, when I drive the Prius I don't even use them really. They're helpful because many of the HVAC functions are buried in the LCD menus but on other cars they aren't.

Would you pay $100,000+ for the SUV then? If they designed an all new body for it it'd cost at least that due to the low volume of sales. A carmaker can't design a vehicle just to sell 5,000 of them a year and deliver the product at an affordable price. Would you prefer hybrid drivetrain on an affordable vehicle, or on a vehicle nobody can afford? The RXh sells very well and gets good mileage for its combination of performance and style.

As for the RX having the worst drag, the RX is about as aerodyamic as an SUV gets. In fact, they did make several changes to the RXh to improve drag, the fascia is more pointed (making the RXh longer than the RX), theres additional underbody covering, changes in the rocker panels to better direct airflow around the wheels. The cD is .35 which is very good for an SUV. The new one will be even slicker.

I also stopped by today and saw the new Highlander. I'd like to trade the Prius in on one and I got some positive reactions from the missus yesterday as long as its the Hybrid. Its really nice, but its nowhere near as well built as the RX. The headliner feels like recycled paper, the leather is cheap and thin and the plastics are hard. The Prius has pretty nice materials for its price, but the Highlander is a huge step down from a Lexus qualitywise. I'd still buy one, and for her/our family vehicle its fine but if it were my daily driver I'd get the RX400h over it in a second.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Oct 10 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]523741[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah you answered your own question lol. The Lexus cars have separate HVAC buttons for the commonly used functions even on models with the MFD. Gotta wonder what's under "CLIMATE" in the MFD if most of the buttons are physical buttons.

0.35 is pretty good. The current Forester is 0.35 and I believe so is the current RAV4.

I like the interior design of the Highlander Limited and HiHy. I thought the leather was ok. It's good for a Toyota but of course nowhere near a Lexus leather (maybe except the standard leather on the IS/ES). I didn't touch the headliner but is it not like other Toyotas? The only gripe I have is the price in CAD. it's $50,000 flat for the Limited 4x4 without nav. That's a $5,000 increase over last year's model.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't believe there is a climate menu in the nav system, there isn't in my car and there isn't in the other Lexus models I've driven.

I love the way the interior of the Highlander looks, in fact I like the look better than the RX. For a midmarket car its well built when compared to a Ford, Honda, etc. The material quality just isn't as nice as on the Lexus, nor should it be for $10k less. For our family car/my fiance's car its fine (she doesn't care) but for me when I'm used to and care about higher quality materials, I'd want the Lexus. Overall though I like the new highlander better than the RX, but if I were buying an SUV for myself I wouldn't buy an RX...

Its more here too by about $3k. A loaded Highlander Limited is $42k, a Loaded Limited Hybrid will be like $44k. I mean...you can buy a lot of higher end vehicles for $44k...

My choice would be a Highlander Sport with nav and SKS, that would be like $38k, but she really wants a Hybrid. I like the interior of the Sport better because it doesn't have the faux wood, I prever the silver plastic.

The headliner in the Highlander is nowhere near as nice as in the Prius or in their cars, its a headliner used in their trucks and its very low-end. The old Highlander had the same headliner.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, there's a CLIMATE button on the LSh and GSh even with physical buttons. It's probably to house the fan speed buttons.. that's all I can think of that's missing. Maybe the "MODE" too?

Yeah the Sport's black leather interior is quite nice. One of the better Toyota black interiors I've seen.

well $42k is much lower than $50k (withuot nav..).

Ohh.. so the trucks use a different headliner material than the cars eh? We've never owned a Toyota truck so I don't know how it looks and I've never touched the headliner when I ride in my friend's 4Runner. I'll keep in mind to check the Highlander the next time I drop by the dealer.

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Strike that, can't get SKS on the Sport, it would have to be the Limited. Thats another of her requirements:

1. Must have SKS
    2. Must have Nav
    3. Should be a hybrid

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if it's not the base HiHy, then it's the HiHy Limited lol.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was hoping I could talk her into the sport lol, with no SKS its no deal though.

The HiHy has the fake wood whether its the limited or not...

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh I wasn't worried about the wood, just didn't know if the base or Limited one fitted better.

Yeah you get spoiled with SKS. Don't really want another car without (or with a key anyway)

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Naa, its all the same headliner. I like the Limited, I just don't like that fake wood. If a car manufacturer is going to put wood in a car, make it real or just skip it IMHO...

I like the SKS too. When I get back in the Lexus after driving the Prius I wind up walking up to the door expecting it to unlock LOL