1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus phone dial operative when driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by popserge, Jan 6, 2006.

1. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have just found out that my friend's new RX330 Lexus, which has the identical GPS and phone system we have in the 2005 Prius, has the ability to work the Bluetooth telephone system while driving. I'm sure you all know, anyway, those of you with Bluetooth and GPS, that we cannot do this. He is using a Motorola Razr phone and has had only a few minimal problems downloading his addressbook to the Lexus system.
    This annoys me no end! I called Toyota management (President's Office) and was told that they could not address the difference between the Bluetooth workings of the two cars. They said the Prius was designed to have the car screen disable all dialing telephone functions in the Prius and the Lexus was not designed that way. End of conversation.
    Anyone have any ideas about this?
    Thanks

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Lexus implies Luxury, so I guess Luxury has its rewards...

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Okay, I think we need to make sure we're on the same page. In that regard, could you please verify that your friend can access his RX330's phonebook and/or enter a phone number while his RX is in motion?

Doesn't make any sense, really, because according to the posts I've read on ClubLexus, they're still dealing with the NAV lockout issue and either using the NAV override workaround or hacking the system.

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I found a quick and dirty fix....

I just mounted my cellphone to the dash and use it instead of the MFD interface. When I make a call it still works through the Prius speaker and microphone. Done deal. Ta-Da

5. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I also have mounted my Motorola 710 and it works through the speakers. I believe most phones with paired Bluetooth functions will do that. We are looking to activate the other functions of the Prius phone system to be useable, like the GPS, while the car is in motion.

6. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My friend can access all of his three "One Touch Dialing" screens while in motion. He doesn't, at this moment, know if he can access the phonebook and/or enter a phone number on the screen while the car is in motion. He's going to try it sometime today, get back to me and then I'll get back to you.
    PS I would sure like to know how to hack the GPS system so as to make it work while the car is in motion on a permanent basis. Now, I use the "override" method,.

7. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is truly amazing how, in this world, some people will accept whatever they get because it is what they "got". It is also amazing how some people have a burning fire to "fix" what they have so it becomes what they really want. I've always thought "What's sauce for the Goose is sauce for the Gander", and live in that manner.

8. tag

tag Senior Member

I think I already know the answer. :D The BT car kits for all Toyotas (including Lexus models, of course) are made by Denso. Since we have the same NAV lockout issue as Lexus owners, I'd be surprised to learn that the latter somehow do not have the same BT lockout issue.

There are methods outlined right here on PC. One of the mods, Evan Fusco, posted an article entitled "How to Install a Navigation System Defeat Switch" in the KB:

http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=6

9. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Woops, hold the press! I just spoke to my friend with the Lexus and I gave you all the wrong information. He doesn't understand his system well yet and is not a nut on it and the GPS like I am. What he has is identical to the Prius.
    If you load a number into the "one touch" section, FROM THE PHONEBOOK, the name of the party appears. While driving, if you touch the phone pick-up button on the steering wheel, the One Touch screen opens with a listing of all the names in that particular One Touch Book. When at a standstill, both name and number shows. When moving just the name shows - which, if you touch, dials out for you.
    Sorry :(

10. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are methods outlined right here on PC. One of the mods, Evan Fusco, posted an article entitled "How to Install a Navigation System Defeat Switch" in the KB:

http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=6
    [snapback]185467[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

Forgot to thank you for the lead on Defeat Switch. Thanks. That led me to a way they figured out to disable the motion sendor and therefore allow you to use your built-in phone system capabilities while moving. It has a few drawbacks but, overall, not so bad. I'm sure you know there's an easy way to defeat the GPS lockout with no trouble at all. Choose Volume, when at the Volume screen, tap far left top corner, then left bottom corner, then left top corner and then bottom left corner. You'll get a screen which has a menu choice. Go to the menu and hold your finger on the "Override" bar until you hear a sound and the window, I believe, changes hue. At that time choose "Back" and you'll find that all your GPS functions work while rolling. Only downside is you have to do this each time you turn the engine on.

11. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, thanks. I have used it on numerous occasions and only wish we could find a similar override for the BT lockout (if there is one, I know the reason I haven't found it is certainly not for a lack of looking). :D

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

One thing to note, the BT functions don't seem to come from the NAV, though the BT uses the NAV audio routing.
    How can I say that?
    Well, for one, you can do BT stuff without having to I Agree, though stuff like maintenance or calendaring, you do.
    2. the hidden override doesn't work for BT.
    3. There is a different wire used to defeat the BT speed disable, than the NAV speed disable.
    4. On 2006, BT can be obtained as a separate option without having to get NAV.

13. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As usual, Dan, your info is great. I did know all that and like to see "real" stuff on the site. Do you know what cell phone works best with the Prius system? I read a Moto Razr, Nokia 6820, Sony/Ericsson W600 (which I hear is GSM only) Nokia 6230 and 7610 will work with the system. Currently have a Moto 710 which does pair but only with restricted functions.
    The "Lets Talk" site only lists Cingular. my carrier, Alletel is not listed.
    Thanks,
    Serge

14. tag

tag Senior Member

Since your carrier is Alltel, you might want to look at the V3c (RAZR) and the 6255i. Both of those phones have the full Generic Object Exchange stack (uncrippled a la VZW) which, of course, includes OPP (necessary for phonebook transfers to your Prius).

15. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the advice, I'll do just that. I've been with Alltel for over 10 years and can't do much better, for coverage, in my area. They don't offer a lot of phones but do have the two you mentioned.
    Again, thanks.
    Serge

16. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've looked at the two phones and wonder if you have other suggestions? No one makes a hang-up-cup for the Razr. As I like to mount my phone and attach a roof-top antenna and charging facilities to it, the Razr is ruled out. The Nokia phone you mention seems to be primarily designed for music functions and secondarily designed as a cell phone. Being 75 years old I don't have much use for the primary functions, just the ancillary cell phone function.
    Why is something this simple always so difficult? :(
    Thanks, in advance, for any info you may have to share.
    Serge

17. tag

tag Senior Member

If the Razr (V3c) won't work for you, Serge, then I can only suggest taking another look at the 6255i. I have yet to read an account by a 6255i/6256i user that had anything but praise for the phone's capability as a cell phone......quite a few reports regarding the phone's excellent reception, ability to hold a signal, etc.

If Alltel has some sort of equipment return policy, you could just get the phone and check it out yourself. That's really the only way to be 100% certain it will work for your purposes.

18. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do just that!
    Serge