1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus planning high performance and plug-in hybrid versions of the CT 200h

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by ggood, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Lexus planning high performance and plug-in hybrid versions of the CT 200h - 4wheelsnews.com

According to Toyota Europe boss Didier Leroy the new Lexus CT200h will not be sold in sufficient numbers to justify a coupe or wagon variant of the model. However, Lexus is considering a higher performance version of the CT200h as well as a plug-in hybrid version which will make its debut after 2012. Furthermore, Lexus is also planning a new model topped to be a smaller SUV, which will take on cars such as the Bmw X3, Mercedes-Benz GLK and the Audi Q5.

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    and here's some notes from the original preview in France:

Lexus is taking a close look at even more efficient versions of its new CT200h premium compact hybrid, while hinting that a high-performance version of the car is in the works.
    During a product presentation of the CT200h at the car’s global launch just outside Paris, France, Lexus College manager Paul Williamsen went out of his way to point out that the current battery pack located in the rear of the CT doesn’t take up all of the space. The larger area, “could ‘theoretically’ be used to put a larger battery pack with increased capacity,” he said.
    This news coincides with previous reports that Lexus has also filed for patents on the CT300h and CT400h names.
    Currently the CT uses a hybrid powertrain similar to that found in the Prius, making 134-hp and delivering a 0-60 mph time of 9.8 seconds.
    In addition, Osamu Sadakata, Chief engineer for Lexus hybrid vehicles told media present that both a plug-in hybrid version of the CT200h as well as a version using a more efficient and compact lithium-ion battery pack are possible. Sadakata said the shift to lithium-ion battery technology is, “the way of the future” and that a Li-On CT is “technically possible,” but stopped short of confirming a CT using the more advanced technology.
    As for a plug-in CT, following after the plug-in Prius, Sadakata said that it would depend on market demand, both for the system and for the CT in general. “If we have the demand, as Chief engineer, I could like to bring it to market as soon as possible.”
    Higher Performance, More Efficient Lexus CT200h Models Under Consideration | AutoGuide.com News

3. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait a minute.

How can TOYOTA announce plans for the next generation CT200 when the current one is just shipping ?

This must mean the current CT200 is already obsolete.

Anyone who wants a higher performance CT200 should wait a little longer.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did it say next gen? (plus you know it takes more than a year to design a car, right?).

These are just more models, like how VW releases the Jetta 1.8T, then the VR6 then the GLI versions. It's just Toyota offering more versions of the CT.

5. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

there will be no all new CTh in the next 5+ years... since CT200h is selling so good, I dont doubt they will add extra options when it comes to engines but i really do doubt that plugin is coming anytime soon.

7. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    this guy is trolling.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lexus already trademarked CT300h and CT400h. CT200h PHV will be interesting.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Figured... I wonder if he's related to the other guy who trolls TN lol.

Tell it to tpfun

10. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I distinctly recall some of the "regulars" here referring to GM's slight mention of a new battery as the "next generation" Volt. Surely this new CT200 plugin and higher performance announcement counts as well in the same way.

Who's the goose ?

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota is so conservative, it seems unlikely they would put out a plug in CT in the same year the plug in Prius becomes available (and without a thorough testing period), but I would love to see it. A version with just a little more horsepower would also be quite nice. Do they have any alternative power plants between the 1.8 and 2.4 engines?

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I gotta agree with this. A PHV CT200h would be even heavier, not exactly a conduit for a higher performance CT200. A larger (Lion ? ) battery and a more powerful motor could easily give it better performance as well as better fuel economy. Anything "bigger" is going to weigh more but I believe a bigger battery and more powerful motor would add 100lbs, while a larger 2.4L engine would easily add 200 - 300lbs more.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When's that coming out though? same year as a redesign? or in 12 months? Don't forget, people tend to also assuming that the 1997-2000 Prius is one generation and the 2001-2003 is the 2nd gen when they're the same car (1997-2003) but just with a midlife update (new bumpers, alloys, touchscreen, updated engine tuning and better batteries to name a few changes)

If you believe the Lexus page on facebook, there's a supercharged CT to be unveiled at the NY Auto Show.

14. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but isn't that a private company who "enhances" vehicles outside the normal manufacturing route? Kind of like Shelby?

That being said, a supercharger would be a rather cool option especially for those with a heavier foot. And adding a supercharger to an Atkinson engine would make it a Miller cycle engine. Kind of like the Mazda engines in the 90s. Pretty expensive but hey its a Lexus.

;)

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't read the full article, just the headlines. What's the company's name?

16. patentcad

patentcad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Listen boys, I absolutely LOVE my new CT. If they actually come up with a higher performance version later, more power to Lexus. That's fine. I strongly feel that @ $32,000, this car was a real bargain. I'm astonished at the value this car delivers @ that price. The car really does rock.

17. Tony420

Tony420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would love the ct200h in a plugin model. It would save more gas. If I wanted performance, I wouldn't buy a toyota.