1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus RX 450 Hybrid 2010

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ChrisTaylor, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor New Member

I am seriously considering this RX 450h Lexus. What can all you hybrid gurus tell me about this car. I know the payback is not the reason to buy this car( I just like the idea of using less gas and also sending a message to American automakers that some of us do want a hybrid) and yes it is way more than the 2010 Prius, that I really want, but due to medical problems, will not work for me. I am looking forward to hearing from you all.

2. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are three hybrid SUVs out there that use the Power Split Device hybrid drivetrain: The Lexus RX450h, the Toyota Highlander, and the Ford Escape Hybrid. (Yes, an American automaker does offer a good hybrid SUV).

The Lexus RX450h has the same mechanicals as the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Both are midsize SUVs. The Lexus obviously has more luxury appointments than the Highlander.

The Ford Escape Hybrid is a compact SUV (it is also sold as the Mercury Mariner Hybrid).

Personally I like the Ford Escape Hybrid better if you don't need such a big car as the Highlander/RX450h. And the Escape Hybrid is still eligible for a $1500 Federal Tax Credit (Expires in September). None of the Lexus or Toyota hybrids qualify for any tax credit.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots new stuff on the new RXh. For starters, the much needed upgrade to a smart key system which the old RX never had. Also, it does have the new hybrid features such as exhaust gas recirculation and exhaust heat exchange as the new Prius so warm-up times should be shorter than before. Same battery as before and I believe it's using the new 2GR-FE engine mated to the hybrid system (3.5 litre V6) but this time, it runs on the Atkinson cycle (previously, it was running on the Otto cycle like a normal car). This further increases fuel efficiency.

In terms of toys, there are new technological advancement in the new RXh. For starters, the HUD that we all wish was on the Prius is available on the RXh as well as a new navigation system with Lexus Enform and Remote Touch. Remote Touch uses a mouse-like controller (instead of the rotary ones on BMW/MB etc). It features haptic feedback and jumps to the nearest icon so you don't need to take your eyes off the road to get to the button that you want. Lexus Enform is like GM OnStar but expanded. One neat feature is that it allows you to download your destination to your Lexus vehicle. You can get XMNavTraffic as well as XMNavWeather.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And ... like the high tech version 2010 Prius, it has LED's ! ! ! :cool:
    And more plastic on the under belly, for even greater drag coefficiency (harder to get to the oil filter now, I suppose). We can get over 30mpg in our 400h ... and it's the AWD version. But w/ the new EPA mpg formula, I'll now likely be lower. You can still get that kind of mileage though.

One last thing ... in case you use it in harsh/cold weather. The AWD is NOT a true AWD in that the rear axle is not connected to the ICE by a drive line. The rear-end strictly is electric driven, and only activates as power / slippage requirements make it necessary.

1 person likes this.