1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus RX400H

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jrawles, Jul 26, 2004.

1. jrawles

jrawles New Member

Sat in a Lexus RX400H this weekend at a Lexus sales event at the old El Toro air base. They wouldn't let us drive it :( but we could climb in it and sit in it. I did open the hood to check if actually had the HSD in it, and it did. I was actually quite unimpressed. I don't think it had much to offer over the Prius except leather seats and I'm quite happy with the seats in the Prius. Ofcourse, if it attracts people to buy hybrids who might not otherwise purchase them, then I guess it serves a purpose. My wife like the cushy interior a bit, but when I pointed out that we could get the nice interior in the Highlander for less money and have a more useful vehicle more space. She conceded that the vehicle was nothing we needed. In truth, the highlander is nothing we need now either, but in a year or two we may want a larger vehicle and it is reassuring to know that a larger hybrid will be available if we feel we need one.

J. Rawles
    Long Beach, CA

2. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

well, i owned an rx300 and have to say that i loved it and would not be able to compare the ride and comfort of the RX to the prius. however i agree on the comparison with the highlander, that the RX is not worth the extra money.

3. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I'm intrigued by the way they're implementing all wheel drive. However, given the extra cost of the Hylander over the Prius, and given that people have been reporting excellent winter handling with the Prius, it's hard for me to justify the extra cost. I could get a package #9, an extra set of wheels and snow tires and still have a few dollars left.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The whole point is to pull away the people who are SUV obsessed. Now you have an SUV type vehicle that's a hybrid. I would consider it more of a SPV (sport performance vehicle ). Now you will find a market for the moms out that that like SUVs based on size. So it's a proven fast after all... size does matter :lol: :mrgreen:

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

well, this past weekend i tried to load a bunch of stuff into my prius. while i agree that it holds a decent amount of stuff for a relatively small car, i was wishing i had my buick rendezvous with me... of course, that's one day in a month, the rest of the time i don't miss it in the least

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too agree that the prius has a lot of room. But every once and a while, it is small. First off, i don't understand how everything fits in that car. You carry a box out.. it looks like it's the size of the car. Once you throw it in.. it dissapears into a corner. Twilight zone material. I helped my Ex move into and out of her dorm. All of her stuff fit in the car. That was over a dozen filing boxes. About a dozen crates packed with stuff. and a microwave. It really didn't take up all that much room either. I could have stacked more. It's a mystery.. but i like it. :lol: :mrgreen:

7. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Any idea of when it's coming out?

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Drive an MR2 everyday and then talk to me about small space :) I've got a garage door opener in my passenger seat right now and it's taking up 99% of my "cargo room".

:mrgreen:

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Going to take a LOT of trips to move to the new house!!

10. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lexus

I ordered a RX400H on Jan1 and was told Sept. Am now hearing Oct, which ofcourse means Nov.
    And yes, everyone is right, it is somewhat pricey. But we'll see what the final price tag is with various options.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good thing I live in the South with plenty of trucks to choose from out of my friends :)

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Click & Clack are always pointing out how much more economical it is to buy a smaller car and rent (or in Danny's case, borrow) something bigger on the rare occasions you need one.

When I lived in Mexico and Spain I didn't even have a car. 97% of the time I walked. And on the rare occasions I couldn't walk, I took a cab. In Mexico there are truck stands (like taxi stands) where drivers of trucks from small pickups to big farm trucks wait for people to come along and hire them. Fares are negotiable and cheap.