1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus UX 200/250 engine cover - doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Hammersmith, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just an FYI to any other fools like me that wanted to dress up the engine compartment of their Prius just a little bit(and also mute the noise of the high pressure fuel pump). While the Lexus engine cover physically fits the mounting points on the Prius valve cover, it doesn't fit under the Prius windshield cowl. The major physical obstruction is the heat shield over and behind the ignition coils. The secondary obstruction is an element of the cowl hitting the top right corner of the engine cover.

While it might be technically possible to make it fit with some modifications to both the cover and the car, I'm not willing to do that at this point. I'll just set it aside for now and chalk it up to experience.

I'll take and post a picture of the attempt tomorrow if anyone wants it. It seems like it would actually look pretty good if it would fit.

PhoS likes this.
  2. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Nobody asked for it(lol), but here's what it would've looked like if it had fit. My plan was to grind away the L and find a chrome Toyota T logo that would fit in the same oval. I was also planning on painting everything black except the chrome T. It looked better in person than it does in the picture. It would also sit about an inch to the right if it fit properly(so the dipstick would be centered in the opening).

20230616_125628.jpg

3. Mksky

Mksky Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    What other modifications do you need to do to make it fit?

4. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It might be impossible. The major obstruction is a heat shield above and behind where the cover would go(It's blocked in the photo). I'm not comfortable cutting the heat shield to fit, and the place it hits on the engine cover is one of the three mounting points. I don't think there's a way to modify the cover and leave the mounting point intact.

The secondary obstruction is kind of visible in the picture and the reason the cover is shifted to the left. If you look at the top right corner of the cover, you can see it right up against a part of the windshield cowl. I'd probably have to notch the cover's corner somewhat to make it fit.

The third elephant in the room is that, even with modifications, I might be left with a situation where the only way to install or remove the cover would be to remove the cowl first(including removing both wiper arms). That's a lot of extra work for something relatively silly.