1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

License Plate Frame Ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HTMLSpinnr, Jan 30, 2004.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I may brake early, but

I'm generate 60 amps of electricity doing so!

or.

I don't brake gently (or I don't drive slow)

I regenerate often.

For the angry:

I bet your SUV doesn't

Generate 60 amps when slowing.

Or.

While your SUV generate smog

I'm regenerating electricity

Others?
    -Rick

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Feeling particularly smug today, are we!! I like them, just don't want one of those SUVs lowering my roofline!

3. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm curious as to whether all Prius buyers (or hopefuls) are so anti-SUV.

My family needs a high mileage car (primarily for my 50-mile commute, but also for trips around time) but it also needs something which can carry adults more comfortably in the back seat and/or much cargo.

We decided we need both a high-mileage car (a Prius if one comes in before our current car dies) and a larger car...for which we chose a small SUV (Subaru Forester).

So, I prefer the first two :)

4. penpendisarapen

penpendisarapen New Member

I'm not anti-SUV, just anti-wrong-SUV-use. My friends who drive big SUVs have big families (2-4 kids plus in-laws riding too). What I hate seeing is single people with no kids and no extra riders driving big gas guzzlers (including non-SUVs) just for the status of it.

Victor

5. tag

tag Senior Member

I'm not! However, now that the technology is available and appears to have been perfected, I think SUVs manufactured from this point on should be hybrids. :)

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think when you live in a place like Los Angeles (like Rick, Cybele, others on Priuschat) you begin to look around at what is making your atmosphere and environment look all smoggy and nasty, and you first look to the things that are causing pollution - in some areas that's the SUVs, in others it's industry - factories. I personally have never been around much pollution, or at least not what they experience on a daily basis, so the major turn on of the Prius is that it's a cool car with lotsa gadgets to play with and at the same time I've saving money on gas (which is also cheap in my part of the country compared to the nat'l average).

I personalyl don't have a problem with SUVs because I don't see on a daily basis their effect on my environment, and I don't have to pay for the gas in them - but I'm not a big car person and have never even owned a 4 door car before. Well, I'm a big car person (enjoyment), but not a big car person (size)...well, you get it :)

7. terkar

terkar New Member

Fail to see why SUV owners get picked on all the time. Their mpg is no worse that a big Buick, Lincoln or Caddy. Conclude that this must be the bandwagon affect or many people just blindly follow what they read or see on the TV. i.e. SUVs are big thus must be bad.

2004 Salsa Red And 1994 Ford Explorer

Just me and the wife but the Explorer can carry a lot more stuff from Lowes or Home Depot and has loads of head and legroom front and back.

8. cybele

cybele New Member

There is constant construction on our freeways, but the simplest things could yield huge differences. Just keeping the lane lines well marked would ease traffic congestion in the large interchanges - that saves gas and time. Well marked signs and routes would keep people from being confused and keep traffic moving and avoid accidents. The slowdowns on our freeways caused by accidents is a huge source of pollution. Yes, they're crowded, but traffic can keep moving when there aren't obstructions.

I don't think SUVs and the like would bother me so much if they just followed emission controls like other vehicles. That said, I don't think they're the biggest culprits in SoCal. We have to look to things like diesel motors like those on the big ships that come into port - just one of those docking, offloading her cargo and then leaving port is polluting as much as 50,000 cars does in a year. We have a hugely busy airport (several) and a single jet plane can put as much into the air one landing/taxi/takeoff cycle as a single SUV on the road for a year!

Lawn care with its gas-powered lawnmowers and edgers and leaf blowers and other small gas-powered engines contribute as much as a third of Los Angeles' pollution in a day during high use periods! Paint, paint thinners, adhesives, dry-cleaning, these are all contributors to the VOC load in our atmosphere.

So getting all the SUVs and other low mileage vehicles turned into hybrids is still not going to make a big enough dent in our smog problem. But I wholeheartedly support the change.

They should all come with electric lawnmowers. :D

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, one of my other cars is a Ford Expedition...I think there is a bit of smugness that can evolve for many of the reasons Danny outlined. Everything has it's place. Realize that the biggest thing about SUVs is that people drive them without considering the enviro impact just b/c of image and size and other reasons other than true need. AND b/c they're not regulated like other px vehicles so the manufactures generally have no incentive to make them less polluting or more fuel efficient...even though they can as we all know now.

Certainly we (I at least) hope that things will change to force those changes and that hybrids will make these vehicles more efficient, more powerful, and less polluting or fuel abusive in time.

10. cybele

cybele New Member

Rick! so sorry your thread degenerated (regenerated?) into the age-old SUV debate.

Back on topic ... my contribution:

I Brake
    for Electricity

and a more regional one:

I Love Dianne
    at Carson Toyota

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What about "I'd Rather Be Surfing Priuschat"

:lol:

Well, I guess that wouldn't apply if you're driving your Prius, but still... ok, enough making myself laugh.

12. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Big, Bad SUV s

13. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'll hijack the thread again and try to clear up several misconceptions regarding SUV emissions, as well as diesel emissions.

Now, first. SUV's while they get inarguably worse fuel economy than most cars, do have engines that are derived off of car engines. If you look underneath every SUV has a catalytic convertor, with the exception of the ones based on heavy duty truck chassis Diesel versions will be missing this. If you put them through the emissions tests (in those states) their emissions come out pretty much right in line with the automobile that shares the same engine in car form. This is a product of modular design, and saves the carmaker money. The bonus is that most SUV's already match car emissions levels especially those based on car chassis.

Second, diesels are actually CLEANER than gasoline engines, hybrid cars notwithstanding. Diesel engines do not rely on a fixed air/fuel ratio to run. Instead, fuel is injected only in amounts needed to keep them running. This is how they get typically 1/3 better fuel efficiency for the same power gasoline engine. Fuel not used, relates to emissions not being created. To date, diesels have only to caveats - particulates, and NOx emissions. Particulates are MUCH heavier than the invisible particulates that gasoline engines create. Diesel soot tends to settle out of the air quickly, and is nearly pure carbon - benign in pollution terms.

NOx emissions are tougher. These are more of a product of our lousy fuel quality, then what the engines themselves create. Our fuel quality is so poor, that emissions control devices are quickly fouled irreperably by the high sulphur content in US diesel fuel. The US is expected to adopt EU sulphur standards in two years.

This will open the US market to the modern diesel engines that Europe is already getting to have in their cars now. They don't put out the heavy particulate content, and new high pressure common rail fuel systems with direct injection into the cylinders (vs. the old prechamber diesels common in the 70's and 80'), and electronic controls are resulting in diesels that are indescernable from gasoline engines in performance and smoothness. You only tell the difference at the pump since you are there less often. Direct injection diesels typically have lower compression ratios as well, further helping to reduce NOx emissions at the source.

As to how much pollution cars now put out today. Cars built today are 99.6% cleaner than their counterparts built in the 60's. this basically means that our hybrid cars, with their SULEV, and PZEV ratings are really only fractionally cleaner than their non hybrid counterparts.

If every car on earth was replaced with a hybrid system, our cities would still be full of pollution. Our cars simply aren't a major player anymore in the city pollution problem.

Personally, I didn't buy a Prius for the SULEV rating. I bought it for the fuel economy. The only real environmental benefit of our cars is the conservation of our fossil fuel resources. Yes it IS cool to be driving around at slow speeds without the engine running. I hope that this also equates to a longer service life for the car, where the other real environmental benefit will be less energy and resources needed to make it's replacement in the future.

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't say I'm Anti-SUV when used appropriately by a family of 5 or larger, but being in Orange County, there are alot of single riders in the larger Escalades, Excursions, Hummers and Yukons who gun it at each light only to pull into the next gas station. It's the lifestyle around here :-/ And it is about image as I've talked to some of these people.

And as for diesel being cleaner - the "except for particulates and NOx" pretty much contradicts that statement. Each has it's pluses and minues. But particulates, whether heavy or light, are still harmful when they enter my lungs until they've had a chance to fall to the ground. And then, they end up being that nasty buildup on my outdoor furniture, my car, etc.

NOx is also a byproduct of a hotter combustion temps since the nitrogen in the atmosphere is oxidized during the cycle. Keeping combustion chamber temps cooler helps reduce these types of emissions.

Back to the original topic again, my '02 Prius had the following plate frame:

Daddy spends less money on gas...
    And more money on us.

It had pictures of my girls on it. Ok, my wife got it for me, but it kinda did make the statement that the car saved me cash on gas.

-Rick

15. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Next gas 500 miles.....but I won't need to stop

16. riskable

riskable Junior Member

10 gallons

every 500 miles

04 CAR OF THE YEAR

What are you driving?

This car is GREEN

Even though it's black

Rear Frame only:
    Prius means "To go before"

That's why you're behind me

Traffic improves my mileage

What's it do for you?

Seeing is believing

Driving is better. 60MPG

Technologically advanced

Environmentally sound

17. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Good job, riskable. Very clever! I really like your suggestions.

18. charlieh

charlieh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I combined a couple of things I liked and both my '03 and my '04 sport frames that say "Got Voltage!" (top line) and "Cool Car... Cool Planet" (bottom line). I do worry about SUV types deliberately damaging my car (I know one for sure dinged my 03' on the driver fender), so I tried to pick something that wasn't a challenge to them. In LA that is difficult to do...

Also, my '03 plate reads "MEGAVLT". Haven't decided on the '04 yet.

19. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I'm anti-being-tailgated-by-cars-in-a-snowstorm. It seems that an awful lot of those cars are big gas guzzlers, including ones that fall into the SUV group.

Plus, the SUV-for-the-single-yuppie-city-driver phenomenon irritates me I have to admit.

Anyways, is somebody gonna make these licence plate frames to sell to us? I probably wouldn't buy one that targets a specific car group though.

20. penpendisarapen

penpendisarapen New Member

How about these:

Smell that? Didn't think so!

Style AND Substance

Making Mother Nature Proud

Got Juice?

Looks Great! Less Filling!