1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

License Plate Frame

Discussion in 'PriusChat Shop Forum' started by rufaro, Jun 5, 2006.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, just got my Weapon of Less Consumption/PriusChat frame. I gotta say, I need to pay attention in future and figure out what I really want...But sometimes it's kinda difficult w/ little bitty thumbnails to see what you're getting. First, I would infinitely have preferred the Weapon of Less Consumption to be the LARGE AND READABLE bit, since that, really, is the more important one for the drones on the road to see. Also, I didn't realize it was just a frame with black stickers on it--looks kinda cheesy and I am not too sure I want to put it on the car at all. Which brings me to the bit that is really entirely my fault--I didn't think this through right, because I was just anxious to find something to replace the dealer frames. I know some folks on this board take off things like the Toyota logo, since they don't want to advertise for them (others do it do keep the car easier to wash and stuff). I don't mink my car saying Toyota, but I am DAMNED if I will advertise the CAR DEALERSHIP unless they pay me to be their billboard. In the past, I simply declined to accept dealer frames or just dumped 'em, leaving the plates just there. However, this will not look "nice" on my nice black car (and the dealer frames are black...). The PriusChat frame is chrome w/ black & white cheesy stickers. I'm thinking I will simply chalk up the frame to an ill-considered purchase, and continue my quest for classy looking !) black Darwin Fish plates! :p

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 5 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]266329[/snapback]</div>
    I know nothing about the PC frames - I do know that high-quality customized frames are tough to come by. If anybody has a lead on them, I'd love to hear it. I had mine done for quite a bit of money. The frames are OK, and the text is great-looking... but only at one angle, and only until I wear it off with washing. The stuff does not seem to be durable, but a very thin paint. Still, it looks good for now!

[​IMG]

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, the quality on CafePress is hit or miss sometimes. That's why I don't actively push the items that are available through them that have to do with PriusChat.

Maybe one day we'll have some high-quality stuff of our own.

4. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 5 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]266329[/snapback]</div>
    I ordered my frame over the internet, too...and it has the sticker-like frame, too. However, I had ordered mine on black metal instead of chrome, so it really looks okay. Give it a shot, look at it from a few yards back.

My Pruis is black, btw. My frame says "EX-SUV OWNER" on the top and "NOW ECO-FRIENDLY FOR MY KID" on the bottom.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I got mine from Universal Studios when they had the Back to the Future store. It reads...

BRINGING YOU YESTERDAY'S TOMORROW...TODAY!

INSTITUTE OF FUTURE TECHNOLOGY

People have asked me if I've worked there. :)

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Jun 5 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]266451[/snapback]</div>
    The hitch is that, not having thought it through, I don't want the silver one on the black car anyway. The yellow HOV stickers (should I ever actually GET them) are heartbreaking enough (though I believe I did see someone here who put some of 'em in windows instead of all of 'em on the paint...I'll have to think about that! <_<

7. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

>>my Weapon of Less Consumption/PriusChat frame

After waiting close to two weeks to get ours, we can't use it even if we wanted to, the frame covers the two Georgia year and month renewal tags (bottom left and right) of plate). I'm not going to get my first ticket for that. It's a shame though, hubby really liked the combo of "retired army vet" plate and "weapon of less consumption" plate holder.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 6 2006, 12:24 AM) [snapback]266549[/snapback]</div>
    As long as you're aware that having them mounted incorrectly is just as illegal as not applying them and driving solo in the HOV lane.

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 6 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]266984[/snapback]</div>

I have replied to this in "Latest # of HOV Stickers issued?" thread, http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=267099, since we have now moved from license plate frames firmly into stickers!

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 5 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]266329[/snapback]</div>
    (from CafePress)

UPDATE:

In this order, I had the frame, 2 hats (one "Consume Less, go Hybrid" and one from my mother's website (www.reviewingtheevidence.com), and a coffee mug from mom's site. I contacted CafePress to send back the frame and the NOT hybrid cap (the hat in question looked about as cheesy as the frame--the logo was placed on real ugly like...). They (CafePress) say you have to get an RMA. I just got the following very nice and classy reply:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting CafePress.com!

I’m sorry your order was not received in perfect condition. We want you to be
    100% satisfied with your CafePress.com experience.

I’ve gone ahead and processed a refund for you. Please allow 3 - 5 business days
    for the refund to be reflected on credit card statement.

I know the item received is not up to your complete satisfaction but as our way
    of apology please go ahead and keep it. There is no need for a return!

If there is anything else I can do for you please let me know.

Your ticket code is XXXXXXX. Please use this code in any further
    communication.

Best Regards,

Helen O.
    CafePress.com Support Associate
    9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Monday - Saturday (EST)
    www.cafepress.com

Let your individuality shine.
    Make, buy or sell what’s on your mind.
    Millions of unique gifts with more fresh daily
    www.cafepress.com"

So, while I can't say I love all of their stuff--I do very much admire their attitude about this! :)

So, anybody want a license plate frame or a black cap with a black cat on it? Only cost ya postage... :eek:

11. sunny

sunny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 7 2006, 01:24 AM) [snapback]267124[/snapback]</div>

Anyone know where to get the License Plate Frame that mimics VW's "Farfegnuggin" with "Farfromfuelin" (obviously I have no idea how to spell either of these!). But the Farfromfuelin plate is kind of fun. Would love the website if you have it. Thanks!

12. elbow

elbow New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sunny @ Jun 7 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]267696[/snapback]</div>
    They spelled it "Fahrfromfülen"

It's here: http://www.cafepress.com/soxsux/907168

Here's a site that looks like they do quality custom frames, but I haven't tried it yet myself (thinking about it).

http://www.gunthergifts.com/perlicplatfr.html

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have two chromed metal frames. The front one is a Prius frame from Toyota. The back one just says "Hybrid" and I bought it off eBay.

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the all the tips. I guess I am going to go with custom BLACK ones. I like the phrase on the CafePress one, "Weapon of Less Consumption," and reckon that'll be one of the large bottom phrases...The voting is now open for another big bottom pharase, and two related little one for the tops...The reward for the winner will be my eternal undying gratitude... :rolleyes: OTOH, if we(um, YOU, because I am not imaginative enough to figure this out for myself,but I have proclaimed myself supreme judge...those who can't do, etc...) come up with some good ones, maybe we can look into a group purchase for some good quality special-ordered ones... B)

15. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    traffictalk.com seems to have good customized license plate frames

16. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jul 3 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]280475[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that. Now I'm still looking for what to say on 'em! Any and all ideas will be considered. Well, not any and all. MysterySquid'd probably come up with stuff that'd likely get me dragged out of my Prius and beaten to death by the vast number of liberals in this area... :p

17. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Four years ago, for my Gen 1, I bought a flat (not raised) black plastic frame that came with a set of "silver"-embossed letters---you know, all-connected, snap-off, 3 A's, 2 B's, etc.
    The letters are about 3/4" high.

On top of the frame I put: 50 MPG. On bottom: AND CLEANER AIR No letters have come unglued in 4 years. The silver has worn a little, but I can touch the letters up if I want.

Just the other day, at Kragen (Schuck's in some areas), I saw a newer version of the idea: a chromed frame with a set of square letters (again, 3 A's, etc.) that slide into channels, both top and bottom. It was reasonable, too---$9.99, I think.

Limitless possibilities for self-expression, obviously. 95% of canned slogans leave me cold.

If anyone's interested, I'll double-check that it WAS Kragen---or Target or whatever.

18. justin96039

justin96039 210,000 Miles on our Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my white Prius, I just painted the front bumper mount for the license plate. I removed it and painted the plastic which is black, with Kyrlon for plastic. Once I receive my license plate, the only part that will show will be the sides. So if you have a white Prius, you may want to do this. Its only $4.00. Most other colors on the car won't look bad with the black frame. JW

19. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 3 2006, 03:19 AM) [snapback]280452[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jul 3 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]280475[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 3 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]280483[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jul 3 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]280774[/snapback]</div>
    Again, all good tips, but, since the only bit I have figured out that I want (and it MUST be on a BLACK frame) is the Weapon of Less Consumption, I still need help figuring out what else they should say. And, in the interests of making sure all relevant info is included when asking for help (have you updated your profile lately :rolleyes: ), to quote ghostofjk, I am a "Pointy-headed ex-hippie elitist liberal," without the "ex-hippie" part--I am a very little bit too young to have qualified for that status, but have the same sensibilities. And I have seen a bunch more than 5% of canned slogans I like...but I seem to have more senior moments than ghost, and can't remember 'em. The bumper stickers on my old car are "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention," "Bush Lied, Thousands Died. ImpeachBush.com" & "Billions for war. Who needs healthcare?" And a Darwin fish.

(Hi Squid and WildKow! How y'all doin'? And WildKow--I hope your avatar could afford to pay for her own breast implants, and has the insurance to pay for the whiplash she's gonna get after her boobs whack her upside her head once too often.)

The problem still remains that, beyond "Weapon of less consumption," I can't think of any other stuff I want to put on the frames, and I won't be putting bumper stickers on the Pri--I'm still getting used to the bumblebee effect of the yellow HOV stickers.

By the way...I still have the CafePress PriusChat/Weapon of Less Consumption frame I don't like the look of...for one thing, it's silver and I have determined I must have black ones--so if anyone wants it, you can have it for the cost of the shipping.

So, PLEASE help my poor unimaginative self to come up with some catchy stuff to use...that'll still be relevant and legal after the 2008 election is indefinitely postponed due to wartime exigencies... :rolleyes:

20. babsrocks

babsrocks Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 5 2006, 05:50 AM) [snapback]281322[/snapback]</div>

At the bottom put "mission accomplished"