1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

License Plate Lamp Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by INPrius, Mar 28, 2011.

1. INPrius

INPrius New Member

Hello,
    I am replacing one of the blown license plate lamp bulb. I read the manual and the picture says twist the bulb holder. It won't move. I wonder if any of you have experienced the bulb holder being stubborn and is it OK if I use a wrench to twist the bulb holder, assuming I will be gentle with it.

Thanks a bunch.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    twist counterclockwise facing to the outside (as if sitting in the hatch to face the panel), they should turn super easy at only about 30 degrees.

3. silica

silica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had trouble with mine last week, mainly because the access hole is small, and I could not get a good grip on it. I used a small channel lock with very little pressure, and it turned counterclockwise quite easily. I replaced both bulbs with LED's.

4. toddrav

toddrav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just did this tonight and mangled the bulb housing a bit with my tongue/groove pliers - the bulb housing just wouldn't budge. I noticed the plastic had burn marks so I popped in some LED bulbs I had around.

Advice I wish I had read:
    - pick up some molding and trim remover tools, and be gentle removing the hatch cover.
    - remember to unplug the power connector, it's so much easier
    - check your manual cause my bulb housing twisted out CLOCKWISE, opposite of several posters.
    - be gentle if using pliers. I tried a spray lube but it didn't seem to help
    - I put synthetic wax (cable pull) on the bulb housing and it snapped back in without effort.
    I'm going to try the wax on all the trim clips, so they come out easy next time.