1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

License Plate Wind Drag?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by FranklinS, Feb 28, 2013.

1. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was just looking at my new Prius and knowing the research done on aerodynamics on the car it seems that the license plate/frame is a big flat brick. My state requires a front license plate. Wondering if it might be worthwhile to relocate it into the grill and cover it with a slightly rounded clear license plate cover (legal here, I believe)?

wjtracy likes this.
  2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I saw a license plate frame that had a curved (bubbled out) clear plastic piece to protect the license plate (they also had flat versions). I was wondering if that would actually be useful.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    License Plate Wind Drag?
    Only when I back up. ;)

Be careful relocating the front plate if you happen to live on one of the growing number of states that require them.
    The plate is required to be there for photo law enforcement which I have no problem with at all, but this is the 21st century and so front plates are kinda extra redundant.

The point is that some states are kind of peevish about how you mount their plates. They could give a crap about the 0.003823 (est.) MPG that you're losing from the front plate but if you get in the way of their $$$ stream, then they will be all over you like a bum on a bologna sandwich!!

...Just sayin! :D

4. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now Zippco (see above) says .5 to 1.6 mpg increase, and you can't lie on the internet.

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm pretty skeptical myself. Pep boys has something similar for a lot less. Not as pronounced as that one. Doubt I would want to use either one. Just would look odd and get crudded up over time..