1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

License Transfer Fee?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Aug 17, 2004.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I have put my name on a Tideland #9 due in a few days. [Crossed Fingers]

I asked for all the numbers now so I wouldn't be surprised by anything at the time of delivery/pick-up. Everything is on the up-n-up. But there's one thing that I can't explain and have a few days to either be able to argue it away or accept it as inevitable.

What's the "License & Title" charge? Sales Rep Jeff asked me if I would be getting new plates or transferring my existing one. Getting new plates would cost $143 whereas transferring costs only $80. Compared to the overall cost of the car, that's a relatively small amount, but it's still my money.

Please try to explain it in a way that I can understand. What is involved in taking my plates off my Buick and putting them on Priapus? I assume the Department of Transportation would have to be notified, but couldn't I do this myself?

[addendum]
    If this matters, I'm going to be writing a check for the car and not financing through a bank or Toyota. So when we leave the lot, it will be mine outright. Not sure if that changes the scope of the question.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No you can't do it yourself. The state kind of wants to know what car the plates are on so they can get you when they want to. The title is the paper that proves who owns the car. In my case the bank. They hold the title and will give it to me when I pay the car off. The state charges for this thus the title charge. The Licence fee is separate and varies from state to state. In Washington you can not move the plates from one car to another except vanity plates so when you get a new car you get new plates at least as far as I know. Every few years you have to get new plates and that costs extra in Washington. Every state has different rules. In Washington if you get a car out of state you have to pay the difference from out of state sales tax and Washington in my case 2k+ as Montana has no sales tax. Milage varies from state to state but it is all spelled out in state law.

3. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you switch plates yourself between cars, when you get pulled over, they might think you've stolen the car because their records don't match with what they see. The plate is more than just the numbers, because those numbers carry meaning in the form of information on the make and model and so forth.

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I understand the fact that the license plates are linked to the car they are attached to.

My question hinges around the procedure of making the switch. If the dealer is going to whip out a piece of paper and charge me $80 for filling it in, that's not worth it. If I can go to my local DMV and say, "hey, I just bought this car and now I want to transfer my existing plates" are they going to tell me that it'll cost $80 or will they tell me I'm standing in the wrong line?

What do people do when they buy a car privately? There's no dealer. Are they required by law to get new plates in that case? Why isn't it possible for a private citizen to legally move plates from one car to another? And if it's not, why can't I?

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ok, we can put this thread to rest. I just got off the phone with a surprisingly cheerful DMV representative who informed me that it costs $80 in the form of $65 for the title and $15 for the transfer. This price would not deviate if I were to drive straight from the dealer to the DMV and completed everything myself.

Now that I have a complete answer, I am satisfied. :)

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Plus by transferring your plates you put off paying property taxes on your car until they come around due again (this applies in SC at least).

7. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In any case, the fee, as most government fees, especially DMV fees, seems stupidly high. Does it really cost that much to plug number into a computer? It's like how you have to pay 25 bucks here to renew your license...25 bucks for one line in a computer and a tiny little sticker to stick on your license.

Then again, at the speed the DMV works, we're propably paying that much because they charge for the hour. :mrgreen:

This does reinforce my belief that if we need to do an anti-trust case, the government makes a good target, since there are never any alternatives to the price-gouging of services that the same entity requires us to use.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know about your state but I think around here it takes one person to do the work and 3 or 4 to supervise it. All are getting paid. Probably does cost 80 bucks and in Chicago there are probably kick backs and other stuff I don't want to know about.

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Last month, I received notification that it's time to renew my vehicle registration. Since I wasn't expecting Priapus to arrive until April, I went ahead and paid it. Last night I was kicking myself for sending it in because I'll just have to pay again to register Priapus.

I just got off the phone with another delightful IL DMV rep. I'm not sure what's going on but two nice people in a row must be some kind of record. Anyway, she said that the sticker I will receive in the mail is for the license plate and not for the car. The sticker will come with a registration card for my Buick, but once they receive the transfer papers from the dealer I will receive an updated version indicating that the plate now belongs on a Prius.

Result: I do not have to pay again to register Priapus!

10. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Welcome to the world of user fees. Doesn't that sound so much better than taxes? There are many ways to charge vehicle owners for the use of the road. Clearly the plate fees are not based on the cost of the raw materials. Illinois has a budget gap and we are paying through the nose or any other convenient access point.

Fortunately, Illinois does not issue new plates (front and back in this state) very often. Unfortunately, a change in the plate fees took effect Jan. 1 of 2004. IF you received a random plate number AND the next time you need a plate (not just the annual sticker) for your car, the fee for keeping that random number will include the charge for a personalized plate.

That was enough to help me convince family members that it was not too expensive to get the personalized plate we wanted now (that is, as soon as the car gets here... now? ... now? ...)

11. djc

djc Junior Member

Happily, we have no annual property taxes on vehicles in Illinois. Now, keep quiet before the governor hears you. They need money, you know.

--Dan.