1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Life of the 12V aux battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tickwood, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My early 2004 (Made in 11/03) has the original 12V battery. It seems to work fine, and the car has only 31,000 miles, but I wonder what the life span of the battery is. Does anyone have experience in this area? A close look says I will not do it myself.

2. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

Its easy :) I'm willing to help a fellow SD prius owner. pm me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tickwood @ Nov 5 2007, 06:03 PM) [snapback]535124[/snapback]</div>

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lifespan is going to vary all over the place depending on temps in
    your area, what kind of abuse/deep-discharge it's taken, etc. Don't
    worry about time, just use it till it starts to go [you'll know it!]
    and replace it then.
    _H*

4. wyounger

wyounger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 5 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]535287[/snapback]</div>
    Hehe... my rule of thumb is just the opposite. In my book lead-acid batteries last four years in most applications. If it's not a very important application (the lawn mower) you can just wait until it tells you it wants replacement. If it's going to be a major inconvenience when the car won't start and you have to get a jump every time you stop until you get the battery replaced... you may want to replace it pre-emptively under conditions you get to control, rather than waiting for fate to come along and pick a time for you.

BTW, if you let fate pick the time, battery chemistry suggests that it will be cold when it happens!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    rather than make an arbitrary decision, go get the battery tested. the dealer has a device made specifically to test that battery. the battery test will be free if they think they're gonna sell you a battery. and if you need one, they're gonna sell it to ya don't worry. :p