1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LiFePo4 traction battery replacement ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uski, Apr 16, 2016.

1. uski

uski New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there !

Considering the age of the gen II batteries, and the fact that it looks like harder and harder to find good cells, I am really surprised to see that nobody talks about making a LiFePo4-based replacement traction battery.

I did a quick research and it looks like the voltages of the LiFePo4 cells would be pretty much compatible with the factor NiMh cells.

LiFePo4 cells are readily available new, and it's what plug-in kit manufacturers like enginer use. So why didn't these guys make replacement traction batteries using the same cells ?

If the voltages were a bit different, I'm pretty sure it's possible to have the battery management module (changing voltage dividers going to their ADCs) to tweak the voltages slightly.

Any idea ? Did anyone try ?

Here are some calculations (using info I found on this forum for the voltage - correct me if I'm wrong) :

One Prius battery module : 6.5Ah @ 14.4V
    Full Prius battery : 6.5Ah @ 201.6V

So the full battery has 14 modules.

LiFePo4 voltage: 3.6V (that is the maximum voltage)
    ==> One module = 4 LiFePo4 cells
    ==> Full battery = 56 LiFePo4 cells

Considering the A123 26650 cells :
    2.3Ah capacity each, using 2 would yield 4.6Ah, 3 would yield 6.9Ah

3*56 = 168 cells in total for the battery, configured in 56 modules in series of 3 cells in parallel.

Price for 168 cells on buya123products would be $7.25*168 = $1218
    Then you need to add the assembly... probably spot welding the tabs.

uski

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why? The benefits of LiFePO4 are in energy density and more deep cycling. Toyota purposefully doesn't discharge the battery pack very much and keeps it between 40% and 80% naturally so the deep cycling becomes moot.

The cost between LiFePO4 and NiMH is pretty large and in the non-Plug-In Prius, it doesn't matter much. There have been experiments with doubling, tripling, and more the traction pack. No benefit in fuel economy with the added cost of extra weight and even suspension modifications.

Where lithium makes sense, is in storing grid energy for all EV us. And yes this has been done! Hymotion was a big one back in the day. So there are packs that exist for GenII Prii that are all LiFePO4 and work. But you won't get any benefit from it unless you add a plug.

3. uski

uski New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about making cheaper replacement traction batteries. The NiMh cells used by Toyota seem pretty proprietary to me, whereas cylindrical LiFePo4 cells are readily available, even in single quantities.

Today, if you need to replace a gen II traction battery, you can either purchase a new battery from Toyota ($3000) or a remanufactured batteries (and considering they may use cells which are 10+ years old, this is less and less a viable option).

Refurbishing the battery yourself is like option 2 above.

But if we could have LiFePo4 batteries with standard cells, we could change the cells more easily. I'm not so interested in the LiFePo4 chemistry itself, but rather in the availability of such cells.

But I see your point !

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well if that's your goal, then some standard LiFePO4 cells to about the same pack capacity would yield a good amount of space inside the pack to do all the other electronics.

The Prius pack works on a large range of voltages because the NiMH cells go up and down like crazy under loads. LiFePO4's are pretty stable. So you really only need a BMS charger and a BMS spoofer for the easiest "transplant". If you wanted to go crazy with EV modes and charging and all that, then you need to fool a lot more computers and turn off the gas line and all that.

You will need to control the state of the LiFePO4's independently of the Prius control.

Definitely possible.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This has been done.
    It is not any less expensive than Nimh. You have to fool the car in so many other ways to be able to do this. Software, CAN interface, charging, etc. Plus you'd be constantly be tinkering with it.

I could sell you a really nice set of batteries that you could use if you are interested in making it though.

6. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it can be done. I'll be doing it on another gen 2 soon. No charger for this one, it will just be meant to replace the nicklemetal modules. I may not even use a BMS this time.

XT1585 ?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep in mind, enginer went out of business, because their product was unreliable, and it was too expensive to make it reliable.

8. uski

uski New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi tony2ltr,

That's exactly what I want to do. I don't want to make it a plug-in hybrid, just to replace the NiMh batteries.
    What kind of cells do you plan to use ? Do you plan to simply do a direct replacement ?

Do you know the maximum charge voltage the Prius applies to the batteries and when it cuts-off ? I want to determine if it's compatible or not with LiFePo4 cells.

EDIT : I don't want to make something like Enginer. I don't want a plug-in hybrid. I'm just looking for a reasonnable alternative to the NiMh cells

Thanks

GG707 likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we understand that. unfortunately, they would not be drop in replacements. your in for more work than you realize, not to be negative, just realistic. there's a reason it hasn't been done. i wish you all the best.(y)

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You will need something between the normal battery input and the new lithium pack. The NiMH voltages are not compatible at all with what a LiFePO4 pack will want. The Prius just blasts the pack with high voltage when it wants to charge, and that is perfectly OK with NiMH. But with LiFePO4, they go boom when you do that. You need to convert the big high voltage charge into a lower voltage higher constant current.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the way i look at these projects, if you have to ask, it can't be done. now tony isn't asking, so who knows what he's got up his sleeve.
    when sparky built his plug in prius a few years back, no matter how much he tried to explain, no one else could understand. that's a huge knowledge/capability gap.

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can make it as simple or complex as you want. But often simplicity also affects safety.
    I'd you really are considering this project I have blocks of ~20 ah A123 26650 cells. Bigger capacity than the original battery but would be fun nonetheless. Probably cost you around $3,000 for cells and associated wiring

13. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The C rate of Lithium is much better than the Nicklemetal batteries. They won't go boom, lol.

XT1585 ?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would someone pay $3,000. for parts, when they can get a brand spankin' new toyota battery for $2,000.?

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Putting in lithium is not about trying to save money.
    For the fun of it. Just like getting cool rims or a different stereo.
    In this case it would be a higher capacity battery.
    These 13.2v modules are ready to be wired up.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a couple recent threads of interest...if I understand Grus quotes roughly $1500 for Prius Gen3 NiMH batt from the manufacturer in Japan (PEVE) whereas the sister Li Prius version (used in EU for v) is about $4500.

Re_involt was working on Li replacement for Prius when they were bought out by Dorman. That was the end of that...I had thought I might do that.

17. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just diagnosed a bad dorman battery right out of the box. I repaired his old battery and sent the dorman battery back. XT1585 ? And lots of people (about $5500 customer pay in CT) pay that kind of money to keep their Prius going... I hate seeing people get screwed.

XT1585 ?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too, but what is the alternative?

19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes they will die if you connect directly.

The company I work for makes the semiconductors used in the BMS systems of most EVs and we work closely with the auto manufacturers. We have done things nobody else has or thinks is possible yet. We know batteries and charging systems. You will get a boom if you hook up Toyota's NiMH system to any LiFePO4 battery pack with nothing inbetween.

20. uski

uski New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

I'm an electronic engineer. I believe I should be able to do quite a bit of stuff :)
    The reason I ask is to see what people think of the idea and see if they know about work which has already been done around this.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm totally clueless :)

uski