1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifetime MPG gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dovcamp, Jul 27, 2004.

1. dovcamp

dovcamp New Member

Is there anywhere in the 04 prius that will give you your lifetime MPG average?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    no way, that is unless from day one you never touch the mileage reset button on the MFD.

4. jchu

jchu New Member

Even that won't work. Refilling the tank seems to automatically reset the MFD

5. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Really? I remember seeing posts about that some time ago. What is the triggering mechanism that does the reset? I have found that I have to do the reset manually after filling up and leaving the gas station.

6. priusfanmh

priusfanmh Guest

as far as I have heard - the 04 auto resets the trip odometer and MPG value on the MFD when you have driven a short distance after refuelling and the car knows the tank is full after being empty.

The classic does not do this.

You could keep a manual spreadsheet of lifetime MPG like many owners have done as long as you keep a record of mileage and gallons on each fill.

example of mine below

cheers

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're just not waiting long enough....If you watch the fuel guage it takes about 30 seconds to add all the dashes to the 'Full' mark. Once it gets there a few seconds later you'll notice the mileage reset on the MFD.

FWIW, I 'may' have found a way to prevent reset...but it's a little labor intensive and prone to screwing up and probably not at all practical.

But, here's what I 'may' have discovered but haven't been able to test. If you fill the tank, power up to Ready, then shut down again BEFORE the mileage resets, then restart again the mileage on the MFD won't reset.

Give it a try sometime, for fun. I found it by accident and haven't tried to repeat it.

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Perhaps this is the techinque used for getting 700, 800 and 900 gallon tanks. Keep doing this and photograph the display when it hits the desired number of gallons.

9. eyetech

eyetech New Member

lifetime MPG

Why not just use trip odo B for this. Just don't ever reset it and manually track the gas you put in. You'll still have trip odo A to use as a trip tracker.