1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifetime MPG/how to stealth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by alanmushnick, Jun 7, 2005.

1. alanmushnick

alanmushnick New Member

How do I find out the lifetime MPG on my Prius?
    Where is the best info on how to drive for optimum MPG? I can't seem to keep the car in stealth mode. The gas engine turns on even if I am very slow to accelerate.
    [email protected]

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alanmushnick\";p=\"96507)</div>
    On an 04' or 05' there is no lifetime MPG. Earlier models I don't know about.

Search around for pulse driving. Or just keep to the speed limit and accelerate slowly. Speeds over 65mph will drop the MPG more. But even doing 65mph is not as good as 55mph. Keep AC use to a minimum. It runs off the HV but then the ICE must charge it.

Once the ICE is warmed up and HV doesn't need to be charged, drive slower. It takes some practice.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Accelerating in Stealth mode is not as fuel efficient as accelerating with the ICE...it's just more responsive until the ICE kicks in.

Your best bet for a starting place is to accelerate briskly (not hard, just not slow), increase your following distance so you can anticipate slow downs and stops without hard braking. Use CC when possible so your speed isn't wandering up and down.

Anticipating stops and avoiding stopping and then accelerating repeatedly is the single most important thing you can do in local/city driving. On the highway stick to the speed limit, don't tailgate, and don't pass unless the car in front of you is going way too slow.

For lots of info read: http://www.priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mod...b0cb73cf4075019