1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifetime MPG Peaked?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Nov 12, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So after nearly 15k miles on my Prius I've experienced my first decrease in my lifetime MPG since the first few months of ownership.

I was up to 50.9 as of 11/06, but after burning almost 1/2 tank of gas on a 74mph 45 degree temps with moderate (prob. 20mph with 30mph gusts) cross winds on the interstate yesterday where my Consumption screen was showing a pretty consistant 37.5mpg I finished the tank at 47.7 mpg.

That resulted in the first drop in my LMPG that I've experienced since probably March or April of this year. I guess I'm just bumming a little b/c I wonder if the trend will continue this winter and will drop me below my own 'magical' 50mpg mark that took me so long to reach.

I guess it's just another heads up for everyone out there. Most of the time we don't consider 45 degrees as "cold", but its enough that IF:
    You're going 74mph in 75 degree temps with the AC off you'll get ~48.3mpg
    Same speed in 45 degree temps with AC at 70 degrees you drop to ~42.6mpg.

Now, throw in a 45 degree 20mph headwind and all the sudden you're down to 29 MPG !!! Even 10mph wind drops you to 35mpg.

Speed kills MPG baby!

It all factors in.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've noticed that my averages are down now that winter formula gas and cool temps are with us. Cool is 6C to 9C in the morning. Tougher to get the mfd under 5L per hundred. So I suspect my LTMPG will climb for the next few months. But it's better than my other vehicle. But again 5% reduction on a vehicle that makes 50+mpg and 5% reduction on a vehicle that makes 20 mpg is noticeable really fast. Even heavy rain has an effect. What's the saying? Oh well it could be worse!

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

We've had two days here below 40's, I've been testing my limits with keeping the heater off during my commutes (not always, mind you - I'm pushing my limits for MPGs, not out of my mind completely though). I'm still holding above 51-52mpg, where I'm usually at 53-55.

It's a tough pill to swallow, definately Evan. My goal is to try to keep my lifetime MPG above 50, but it's going to be real tough. Maybe we should start taking time off from work - just let them know 'yeah, I'd come in today, but my car doesn't like cold weather, and it's too depressing to see the mileage go down this time of year..'

I guess we'll just have to double our efforts of driving the car in the summer, huh? :) Here's to hoping it's not a trend for you, that's a big hit to deal with.

-m.

PS - let me make you feel a little bit better about this - My boss, who drives a minivan and commutes 60 or so miles to work each way has figured he's spending $10-15 a day to keep gas in his vehicle, and so he's seriously looking into getting a used Prius or hybrid. And that's non-winter numbers, too.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, so far, after 30,391.6 miles of fuel mileage tracking, I'm at 47.7 according to the calculator, and 52.2 according to the computer.

Temps are now dropping down south here as well, and the current tank is just barely at 50mpg. :(

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I THINK I'll be able to get the numbers back up and my LMPG up above 51mpg after the winter. I don't think my winter mpg will be as low this winter as it was last do to my much better technique compared to when I'd only had the car for a few months last year.

I suspect that I'll get down into the high 40s (prob. never below 48mpg) then by the end of summer back up to 51 or so. I anticpated a pretty good leveling off at that point as per Johh1701a's historical averages.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I typically see a 10 degree temperature swing from where I live, and the metromess down here. I don't know if you can do this on yours or not, since your climate control system is different, but I leave the fan turned off, and the recirc button switched to fresh air. the temperature is still set to where I always leave it (~65), and the selector at the floor vent. I can feel warm air wafting out of the floor vents in the mornings when the car warms up. I never run the fan, and I find myself quite comfortable, dealing with 30's and 40's in the mornings. Then again, I've also ridden my motorcycle to work on a 37 degree morning as well. :mrgreen:

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i am also on the decline whereas before the last two tanks my previous 5 tanks had been averaging 55.6 mpg for an overall total of 54.3 mpg... but now im dropping .2-.3 mpg per tankful since my average has gone to 48-49 mpg so i have lost slightly more than 10% so far.

part of the drop can be attributed to a change in work venue where my commute was reduced to a mile one way.(because i was so close to home, i also went home for lunch every day adding to the "fuelishness") that ended yesterday so back to the 9 mile commute should help.

and Evan on your trip... your car was effectively going 80 mph if at 74 mph with 30 mile crosswinds (if my Trig is correct... ) add to that extra drag on the car since the Cd is higher for side shear and all things considered your Prius actually did fairly well.

8. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My avergaes have been dropping the last month also. Highs of 58 averaging about 55, now it's tough to get 51. Temps have dropped to the 40s for highs and 30's/40s for lows.

Lower winter MPGs means more fillups in bad weather.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    fact of car life im afraid... in most areas, winter formula gas has 8-14% less power. basically components that lower the freezing point of gasoline are added and apparently, none of these things burn but do take up space thus less power.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I experienced a severe MPG drop last Sunday. After a 160-mile round-trip to Georgia for MegaMillions tickets, I filled up at the BP station at Clemson & Hardscrabble, and almost immediately saw my MPGs plummet to 42 or so. It stayed near there until Thursday night, when I added 3 more gallons of Citgo gas to fill the tank back up. Now, driving around today, I went past 50MPG for a little while and am now at maybe 48.

Not sure the recently chilly weather did anything. I'm thinking 'bad gas', that was aided by adding the Citgo. If it falls down again on another colder-than-this day, I'll stop maligning BP...

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Same here, currently fighting to stay over 45 mpg on this last tank, 225 miles so far. Below freezing every morning for the last week, high today of 46 is the highest since I last got gas. I don't want to see 44.ANYTHING!

sigh.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have to laugh as I think that this is so far the worse tank I've had with Priapus, excluding days of interstate driving. Well, that's not the funny part. The funny part is that we are voicing concerns about mileage less than 50MPG. It really is relative.

Sometimes I'm concerned, but other times I think that if I'm seeing a significant hit in mileage, those other cars aroun me must really be suffering.

13. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, they aren't. I am experiencing a 6% drop. In my old car that would have been 1.3 MPG, in the Prius, it is 3 MPG. :)

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    6% drop??

must be nice...im looking at around 10%

15. Frank Hudon

just did the numbers and I'm down 12.5% Well don't you just love winter blend fuel and cool temps Notice the "Bladder" effect yet? I haven't paid much attention to it but now it's getting cooler just watch the posts on the "damn bladder" effect. Went thru it last winter and not much complaining during the spring, summer and fall, but it'll start again.

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's only increasing, however I've change regions and climates to boot.

17. Frank Hudon

must be nice, living in PHX, and not really having a winter to worry about. Ya Ya it gets cold in the desert, 55F a bad day. Although it has snowed there, it's snowed here and 4 feet of it to boot. once again lucky you!

18. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Rick moved from LA so he didn't know what winter was before either :)

I am NOT sure, but I think VT might have all year 'winter blend' like CA since we also have more strict air quality laws. If that is true, my 6% is due to temps, not gas. Others might have a combination.

I did check my tires Sun AM. They had dropped to 35/33 from 38/36. I put them at 40/38 figuring it is only going to get colder and they will drop of their own accord.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea - I think my MPG increases are due to multiple factors.

Temps have gone down enough to avoid daytime A/C usage, though morning heat does keep the ICE on more.

I'm in a much flatter area now than I was before in South Orange County, which helps quite a bit w/ MPG's.

My commute is much longer now (Surprise to Scottsdale) and with more traffic which helps my MPG.

AZ gas is surely a bit less stringent than CA gas, even in the winter which most likely helps the MPG as well.

AZ also has lower surface street speed limits, and the average freeway travel speeds are less than in CA - both which help. A 4-6 lane road in AZ will be rated at 35-45mph, where in OC it's 45-60mph or more for a similar street w/ similar zoning and traffic pattern. That combined w/ hills and less than perfect signal timing is highly detrimental to MPG's.

Once summer comes along w/ full-time A/C usage, I'll probably be back down in the mid-high 40's again - like those with winter drops.

Some of my tips which keep it higher include keeping a larger following distance between me and the car in front in traffic to keep my speed a bit more uniform (braking/accelerating is less efficient than a constant speed) and I run 42/40 or 40/38 in my tires.

But yes, I do have a basic idea what a real winter is like - just been a while. I grew up in a mountain resort community (Big Bear, CA) which definately had cold weather and snow in the winter. :-P However I don't miss it at all :)

20. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr\";p=\"50532)</div>
    Oops, sorry, I should not have said Rick, but Rick's Prius, has no idea what winter is like. :)