1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifetime MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by speedy, May 5, 2005.

1. speedy

speedy New Member

I have had my Prius for 10 days now, and of course I love it. It's hands down the best car I've ever had.

And I downloaded the user's guide that's suggested in the "taking delivery of a prius" guide. It mentions that you can find both your lifetime MPG and MPG for your current trip or tank of gas. I can't find the button for lifetime MPG. Any hints on where to look for that?

Thanks.

2. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Speedy,

Welcome to the world of Prius! I hope your car is meeting your expectations.

There are a number of inaccuracies in the owner's manual with regards to features. One of them unfortunately happens to be the lifetime MPG. Hopefully, there will be a software upgrade available in the future to include that feature.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(randalla\";p=\"87218)</div>
    I don't.

Sorry to be blunt, but when you reach the mileage I'm at, you'll discover the curse that wish would bring... The margin-of-error (1.4 MPG) is greater than the annual variance, making a display lifetime value pretty much worthless and definitely misleading.

Looking at these year #2 graphs for both my Prius, it becomes obvious. Notice what doesn't happen to the green line.

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-data04.htm

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-data13.htm

Then note how it gets even worse as the year's progress.

4. exhuman

exhuman Member

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying about the 1.4 mpg margin of error and the annual variance. I know I wasn't a good statistics student, tho'.

Do you mean that after a year or 2 the Lifetime MPG becomes close to a straight line but that it's y-coordinate is deceptive in that the margin of error is 1.4 mpg?

I know for me the lifetime average would be a source of frustration. Like the poor person who tries to make up in one semester what 3 years of partying did to his GPA. (just anecdotal, not personal experience :roll: ) After a few years, you could drive like that guy who went over 1000 miles at 35 mph and still not get your Lifetime average to budge.

I hope I haven't added more confusion to the confusion.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Margin-of-Error is the difference between DISPLAYED and CALCULATED values. The Multi-Display rounds optimistically. So we know for a fact that it will read higher than actual.

And yes, it becomes a flat line after awhile... which varies less than 1 MPG.

So rarely ever seeing a change and realizing that it isn't entirely accurate anyway would be very frustrating.

6. Spidey126

Spidey126 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    does this apply to the 2010 model as it has changed?