1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifetime oil change program

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by road__rider, Sep 29, 2007.

1. road__rider

road__rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,

New Prius owner (Just picked up my new 2008 touring package #6 last night.....woot....woot!!) and this is my first post. I have been lurking a little since I decided to become part of the Prius family, and have already learned a LOT! Thanks!!!!

When doing the paperwork at the dealer last night, the "finance guy" pushed REALLY hard for the extended warrantee packages, and especially the "Lifetime Castrol Premium Oil Change Program". The cost was $499 for the program, which covers oil changes for the entire time I own the Prius, up to 4 oil changes a year with Castrol Syntec Blend oil (not the full synthetic oil, but a blend)...good only at the dealer where I purchased (local).

Seems like over the long run it will pay for itself.....in just a few years. Anyone else buy one of these programs? Just curious what other "family members" think about this.

BTW.....didn't buy any extended warrantee programs. Did that once and got burned.....plus I figure that they wouldn't push these programs so hard unless they were making a nice profit off of them.

Any thoughts?

Mark

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a rip. They just want you to feel locked-in to getting all your service from them.

Wait, let me try again: if you know that you like their service department, and you know that you will own the car at least five years, and you know that you will live near that dealer for at least five years, and you know that you will not drive more than 20,000 miles during each of those years, and you know that you wouldn't otherwise invest the $500, then it's a good deal.