1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light-bar upgrade for LE and SE

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    LE and SE don't come with a light bar, which is a huge disappointment, as it ruins the aesthetics of the car at night.

It looks like this could be a very simple upgrade amounting to buying two LED lamps. Perhaps some LE and SE owners could look into this.

LED, rear turn-signal lamp | part # 81965-48030 | Toyota Auto Parts

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I can't see the actual part numbers for the light-bar LED lamps on Toyota's stripped public parts website other than the 81585 (RH) and 81595 (LH) prefixes. @Hammersmith, perhaps you can see the actual part numbers on TIS.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I was bummed when I found out that Toyota changed the taillight configuration on the LE. Instead of having the full length taillight, we only have the corner brake lights.

BUT, did Toyota break the law?

Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

Buried in that page somewhere is a federal requirement that vehicles have what's commonly called the 3rd brake light. In technical jargon its CENTER HIGH-MOUNTED STOP LAMP.

Did LE/SE owners just buy a car that doesn't meet federal requirements? Thoughts?

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The centre brake light is separate in all versions, as the same standard requires. I can't see that standard requiring that it's higher than the other brake lights, but that is in the UNECE standard used elsewhere. Previous Priuses really pushed that limit, with the edges being basically aligned in G2. Design here has a gap at least.

5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    There is still a separate third brake light in all trims. I mentioned that in my comments about the different cord you need. The E lens has a single output for the brake light. The G/H lens has three outputs; one for the brake light and one each for the two LEDs for the taillight strip.

FYI: Toyota uses E/G/H to designate the trim levels. E=LE/SE, G=XLE/XSE, H=LTD/XSE+. Some of us use E/G/H because it's so much quicker to type.

edit: I got beat by literally one second. lol

6. Zoomish

Zoomish New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hey all, just a got a Prius LE. I am super bummed that for some reason the LE gets handicapped light features (DRLS/Light bar).
    I took apart part of the plastic panel in the rear hatch. Its held in by plastic clips. Took a peak and looks like the physical holes for the extra lights are still there, just capped off by rubber grommets. Did not take a look at the whole harness but I'm sure that's the main difference, and the lack of lights. Also looks like the Lightbar structure is there to reflect the light properly. Im thinking maybe getting 2 of those LED lights to try and tap into a line but IDK which one yet.

The Yellow here is the third brake light bulb.

20230925_181818.jpg

Very hard angle to capture, but along the same line of the at the edges there are rubber grommets capping the light bar "fixtures"
    20230925_181958.jpg

mountaineer, KMO and Gokhan like this.
  7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for investigating! Check out the more detailed discussion based on the manuals here, by the way: Parts diagram, teardown or others for Gen 5? | PriusChat

8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    He doesn't need the parts diagrams. He is doing actual observation as opposed to pure theory in that thread. LOL

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I can't see the rubber grommets, but could you remove them and then shine an LED flashlight through the holes to see if the light bar lights when you do that?

The part number for the Gen 5 Prius/Prius Prime light-bar LED bulbs is 81965-46010, and two are needed.

LED, socket | Toyota part # 81965-46010

Tapping should be trivial. Simply tap each to the taillight in the respective corner using some wire.

10. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Although as Gokhan notes, the "two are needed" is pure theory, and has not been actually observed.

Preebee likes this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have bought perhaps 1,000 parts from the Toyota parts departments to date, and I have seen perhaps tens of thousands of parts diagrams. No part is sold in pairs unless it is specifically labeled a "kit." So, it is not theory but observation. ;)

Moreover, the quantity shown in a part diagram indicates the quantity needed, not the quantity included. So, a "2" in a part diagram means you need to buy two etc.

Screws, clips, small gaskets etc. are typically packaged in bags of ten, but the part number still refers to a single quantity, and you don't get ten of them when you order the part. Occasionally, they will open the bag and leave the quantity you ordered an give them to you in the original bag, and at other times, they will put them in another plain bag. They will put the rest in a labeled bin in the parts department or the distribution center. For example, see the common Toyota OEM oil drain-plug gasket:

[​IMG]

#11 Gokhan, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    Alan Nomoto and mountaineer like this.
  12. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no "2" in the part diagram. It's "Quantity: 2" in the parts database for 81965-46010.

All the other parts in the diagram that have multiples indicated on the diagram, like (3) show "Quantity: 1" in the parts database. So your claim that it's the quantity needed is clearly wrong for all the other parts in the diagram.

And think logically. How would the parts database know how many you needed for a particular vehicle? Parts are common. The "Quantity: N" in the database entry for a part number could not possibly correspond to how many you need in general.

So we know it's not the quantity needed, so we have to conclude it's either an error or it is the quantity supplied. And supplying tail-strip LEDs in pairs would make sense to ensure you get even lighting upon replacement, so it's plausible.

Give me an example of a part where the database said "Quantity: N>1" in the database entry for that part number, and you only got one.

I'd agree it's incredibly rare for things to come in multiples. I don't recall ever seeing anything other than "Quantity: 1" except in kits.

13. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    So your interpretation is that Toyota are supplying the LEDs in pairs to dealers, based on the "Quantity: 2", but the pricing in the database is for singles, with the expectation that someone should be parting them out? Could be, I guess.

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You are clearly very new to Toyota parts diagrams and lists and you don't understand them.

There isn't "(2)" in the part diagram because they are showing the left and right separately. If they put "(2)," that would make it four needed, like two for the left and two for the right, which would be wrong. It shows as "2 [needed]" in the list and also separately drawn as two in the diagram; so, they are both correct.

The screws on the diagram are shown with numbers in parentheses next to them simply because they are drawn only once. So, that's correct, too.

I ordered many screws and clips in the past, and they are often shown as multiples in the part lists. So, no, if it showed as six clips [needed] in the part list, I didn't get six of them when I ordered a clip—I only got one. Or if I ordered two clips, I got two clips, again not six clips. As I said, they arrive in bags of ten (see my picture above), but you get the quantity you ordered—not six (quantity needed) or ten (quantity in the original bag).

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, that is not my interpretation at all.

First, some background: Toyota does not supply parts to dealers. It supplies them to parts-distribution centers. You call the dealer, and they place a "special order" with the parts-distribution center, and the part will arrive from the nearest parts-distribution center. And the part arrives to the parts-distribution center from Japan.

Almost every part, including this LED bulb, is sold as singles. They are neither packaged nor sold as a pair. So, if you order this LED bulb, you will get a single bulb in its original bag or box shipped from Japan, like the following LED bulb (actually this one is from Canada LOL):

[​IMG]

The only things that come in multipacks are small parts like clips etc., which come in bags of ten, like my picture of the oil drain-plug gasket above. And, yes, as you said, these small parts will then be taken out of the bag of ten and separated according to the order—either at the distribution center or at the dealer. However, this is never the case with bulbs or bigger parts. Besides, if you put more than one bulb in a bag, they could break. ;)

#15 Gokhan, Sep 26, 2023
  16. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you grasping that the parts database is saying "Quantity: 2"? Like the gaskets, and unlike that bulb.

Are you saying you don't believe the "Quantity: 2" because you've never seen such a part with something other than "Quantity: 1"?

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The quantity shown in the parts list is the quantity needed—not the quantity packaged. I have dealt with these Toyota part lists for many years.

I see what you mean though—they didn't bother noting the quantity needed in the parts list for the clips, nuts, etc. but they noted it on the diagram only. That's laziness on Toyota's part.

In any case, we are not only wasting time on trivial things but the thread got hijacked on some back-and-forth on the number of bulbs sold in the package. As I said, I am 100% sure that it is originally packaged and sold as one (1) bulb, but if you are doubtful, a simple call to the parts department will be sufficient. One reason why these parts are packaged and sold as singles is because different cars may use a different number of the same part. The only parts that are packaged in multiples (usually ten but sometimes fewer) in bags are small parts likes clips etc., but they, too, are also sold as singles—you don't get the whole bag when you order one. Moreover, quite often, a customer needs only a single quantity of a part, and therefore, selling more than one at a time would be wasteful.

#17 Gokhan, Sep 26, 2023
  18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So, returning to the subject of this thread, @Zoomish, could you do the LED-flashlight test I mentioned and let us know? It would be very interesting if this turns out to be an only ~ $100 upgrade involving putting two LED bulbs (part # 81965-46010) and tapping them into the taillights in the corners using some wire.

Zoomish likes this.
  19. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Off topic…but the sales person would give me these gaskets for free when I buy oil filters from the Lexus dealer I go to.

Gokhan likes this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, and some other dealers also put a "free" gasket in the oil-filter box. They cost about a buck each though—perhaps about 50¢ to the dealer. At one point, these gaskets were causing oil leaks because they were made form a very hard springy cork-like material. leading to self-loosening of the oil-drain plug. Toyota eventually replaced them with the blue soft-gasket-material-covered aluminum gaskets I pictured above, which solved the problem. I went ahead and bought a full bag of ten once (it cost me about $10, not about $1 ;)), and I was able to use less than half of them before my old car got totaled by a hit-and-run driver. My blue 2021 Prius Prime Limited gets a $50 oil-change/tire-rotation/multipoint-inspection service at the dealer under the AdvantageCARE policy every six months.

#20 Gokhan, Sep 26, 2023