1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

light in glovebox

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by makar, Nov 7, 2007.

1. makar

makar Junior Member

I happened to reach for something in the glovebox while driving tonite, and then noticed the light didn't go out when I closed it (you can see via the small space just beneath the latch). I checked the manual, and it says the glovebox light stays on when the headlights are turned on. This seems kind of dopey to me -- the glovebox is closed 99.9% of the time. And the light stays on? Yes, it's a little light... but still.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep. I believe the light is LED so no worries about short bulb life.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The light stays on when you close the door? Dang. Hang on, let me go check the fridge... :D

4. makar

makar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 7 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]535976[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, well... a friend-and-Prius owner asked me how I could tell. I explained about the slight gap beneath the latch, but I guess it gave her a giggle.

5. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 7 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]535976[/snapback]</div>
    The light in my fridge does stay on at a low level when I use the quick freeze button. The light bulb is used to warm up the fridge, so the compressor turns on more often and the freezer is cooled more. There is no thermostat in the freezer part and both compartments share one compressor. A wasteful way to get the freezer to cool more, and it's not even American ;-)

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The small LED bulb in the glove box draws very little current, and bulb life is longer than the life of the car, so the Prius designers decided to eliminate the switch as it adds expense and is another source of trouble. It's a sound idea, only unconventional.

Tom