1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(!) Light on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kaylan27, Jul 6, 2007.

1. kaylan27

kaylan27 New Member

My car is not even a month old and the (!) light came on. What little i found on it says brake system. Is this a real bad sign? Should i take the car back to the dealership? Also, The brakes make some very low pitch squeals. You can't hear it unless you turn off the ac and the radio. This has been going from day one. I just figured it was normal considering i did not know what normal was for this car.
    Suggestions please!
    K.

2. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kaylan27 @ Jul 6 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]473999[/snapback]</div>
    Could that be your tire pressure warning system light instead?

3. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Relax! Unless they built yours with old parts :eek: , there's nothing wrong with your brakes. Almost all brakes, no matter how new, are not silent, especially if you're sensitively listening to them. During your first few hundred miles, the brake pads will "seat" a bit every time you brake until they are precisely smooth in interfacing. I've had 4 Priuses and a total of over 30 cars, and have yet to encounter silent brakes.

As for the warning light, we assume you mean it comes on after its initial (test display) every time you start the car (in other words, it's not the initial startup display). Then you should call your dealer/service advisor and ask if he/she thinks you should bring it in. They'll ask if it comes on every time you drive, if not how often, under what conditions, etc. Always better safe than sorry, no?

4. kaylan27

kaylan27 New Member

Thanks. It does come on after the initail startup and stay on. It just started this morning and I am awaiting lunch to see if it comes again. I think your right and i am going to call the dealership.
    Thanks for the assistance!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    make sure the light isn't actually the TPMS light, if you look carefully it is a cross-section of a tire. like the exclamation point is underlined. if that's the case, it's your tire pressure and a trip to the dealer would be a waste of your time.

6. kaylan27

kaylan27 New Member

i just got off the phone with the service department and they said tire pressure was low. Thanks to everyone!

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kaylan27 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]474051[/snapback]</div>
    Take this opportunity to pump them up to at least 42/40 for a couple more mpg.

8. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like someone has a case of RTFM!
    If you had, you would have saved yourself some stress.