1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light Sensor on Windsheild

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As we know, the US 2007 Prius models do NOT have daytime running lights. So what does the light sensor on the windshield control? I don't see any change in the dashboard lights and there is no auto lght control when it gets dark.

I also notice 2 cutouts where the light sensor is on the dashboard could be (underneath the left hand corner of the windshield). Is the sensor the one closest to the left corner on the one next to it (a little to the right as you sit in the driver's seat).

I'm asking because the inspection window sticker that is required for my car is casting a shadow over the right hand cutout on the dashboard. But if the light sensor is not used for anything on the US models, its not an issue.

Thanks! - Marvin

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Aug 5 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]490944[/snapback]</div>
    It is an infra red sensor for the air conditioning system.

3. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 5 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]490967[/snapback]</div>
    So what would happen if the sensor is partially shaded by the window sticker? Would the A/C not blow as cool because the sensor is in shade? My A/C seems to be fine.

Thanks - Marvin

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Aug 5 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]490973[/snapback]</div>
    My educated guess is that the sensor helps the a/c system to compensate for direct sunlight. I almost always notice that the fan speed increases when sunlight hits the sensor.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the cutout (next to the A/C sensor) is the automatic headlight sensor (only in Canada).