1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light varnish in '06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike Mc, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Mike Mc

Mike Mc '16 Prius 4, '13 Prius 3

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A few weeks ago I changed the oil pan because someone at the dealership over tightened the drain plug and a few of the threads from the pan were sticking out. When I got the old pan off I noticed the screen was clean but the inside the pan and engine had a thin light brown varnish throughout.
    The car has 170K miles so I suspect a little varnish is to be expected particularly because the dealership did most of the oil changes with dino oil. I have done 3 changes with Mobil1 and Purolator filters. I have not noticed a change (peering through oil fill cap) in the appearance of the varnish. Should I just continue driving and using the synthetic oil and not worry about the varnish or should I try to clean the engine with a little MMO or Auto RX?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, if it's running alright then that's what I'd do. My personal opinion is that a light varnish doesn't really hurt anything anyway.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'll second that

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes dino oil burned in residue. In a motor with that much mileage since you already cleaned the sump filter I would not use any additives.
    Just keep using Mobil 1.

Btw, you should check the Variable Valve Timing oil filter too with that much mileage. Its a tiny oil filter that filters the oil that drives the VVT timing cam.

The access port to that filter is located under the intake manifold.
    And requires a hex socket.

If interested please check my old posts as I have a good write up on it.

6. Mike Mc

Mike Mc '16 Prius 4, '13 Prius 3

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    wjtracy- Looking at the mobil 1 pic's the light varnish i was speaking of is more like the after picture...so i guess i'm ok/ thanks all!

edthefox5- I will have to look for that one...I'm not afraid to turn a wrench so that one sounds like a rainy day repair.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can pull the oil pan the VVT filter will be easy for you.

Be aware you need a hex on a socket not a key as the hex bolt is in there so tight I needed a breaker bar to get it out. They really socked it down.